IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

I do want to add that I like this track way better than the singles from Age Of

PS can't we move this thread to New & Upcoming releases? I think it would fit better there

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 3

Ima prob buy this based on the couple tracks I’ve heard. 

October is going to be an interesting month lol. Autechre, Wagon Christ and now this.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1

Description of this album has me thinking it's a return to form.

Hopefully this will be awesome (if the the below is to be believed)

Named as a reference to a misheard play on words of Boston’s Magic 106, it is a nostalgic reference to radio landscapes. Loosely structured on radio's journey from day into night, it is interspersed with digital hallucinations that appear as ghosts between the dials. Collaging together archival recordings of various American FM station’s “format flips”, in which detourned DJ sign-offs collide with advertisements and self-help mantras to form darkly humorous reflections on American music culture.

The album’s opening ‘DRIVE TIME SUITE’ is Magic Oneohtrix Point Never’s appeal in microcosm. Curtain-raising vignette ‘Cross Talk I’ crams hypnagogic infomercial sounds and uncanny, Holly Herndon-esque vocal manipulations into a mere twenty-two seconds, its sharp aural left-turns prefiguring the FM radio-style shifts which periodically break up Magic Oneohtrix Point Never. ‘Auto & Allo’ subsequently expands this aesthetic, its halcyon electronics and twisted echoes of baroque-pop landing somewhere between Sophie and Actress. The balladic elements which lurk in ‘Auto & Allo’ are brought out further still on the following number ‘Long Road Home’, a track where Lopatin’s robotified vocals are accompanied by Caroline Polachek and set against a hyperreal chamber-pop instrumental.

• Like 2

Sounds like he managed to really merge his recent approach to mainstream production and his older sounds. There are some Replica vibes to Auto and Allo imo.

Also I'm really intrigued by the fact that he seems to have dropped the really heavy concept album thing he did with Age Of.

Long live OPN!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stock said:

Sounds like he managed to really merge his recent approach to mainstream production and his older sounds. There are some Replica vibes to Auto and Allo imo.

Also I'm really intrigued by the fact that he seems to have dropped the really heavy concept album thing he did with Age Of.

Long live OPN!

Reading the bleep description, it still sounds like this one is pretty much a concept album as well. Definitely not as heavy with it as Age Of.