IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

• mcbpete changed the title to Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic

Newyorknowhere I don't know who the guy is who started the thread is either but they did a horrible job. They couldn't even get the basics right and a mod had to intervene and baby them through the process. I hope he's reading this so he knows that he has to do better. From what I gather he's an Italian slacker with connections to the Vatican in Rome. Update: I just seen him lurking, watching. Thread starting privileges revoked please.

• Burger 2

• mcbpete changed the title to Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never
2 hours ago, species8472 said:

i believe the thread title should be "Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never" if we are doing this

'Oneohtrix Point Never - "Magic Oneohtrix Point Never" (30 October 2020, WARP318)'

On 9/21/2020 at 6:26 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

If this isn't sampled extensively on the new album I'll be very disappoint.

Also, how did he get away with sampling a McD commercial on Replica, among various other corporate jingle snippets?  Seems implausible that that would happen without lawsuits springing up everywhere.

It was released on his label Software which was an imprint of Mexican Summer. One of the owners of Mexican Summer is literally an heir to a distillery and beverage conglomerate worth billions which is why the label can maintain a nice in-house studio and NYC office. Maybe they weren't too concerned about paying out any lawsuits and/or represses because of the coffer available.  

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

4 hours ago, jules said:

I'm not the biggest OPN fan, but damn, the art direction on this is fantastic

OPN has always had excellent art direction, especially post r+7. With opn the sounds and visuals are always on(eohtrix) point (never).

1 minute ago, joshuatxuk said:

It was released on his label Software which was an imprint of Mexican Summer. One of the owners of Mexican Summer is literally an heir to a distillery and beverage conglomerate worth billions which is why the label can maintain a nice in-house studio and NYC office. Maybe they weren't too concerned about paying out any lawsuits and/or represses because of the coffer available.  

This is a fucking rad fact that I never knew. No wonder that label has been able to make soooo many sub-labels.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fumi said:

Description of this album has me thinking it's a return to form.

Hopefully this will be awesome (if the the below is to be believed)

yeah overall this fills like he's coming full circle to his sunsetcorp and eccojams era work

On 9/23/2020 at 1:02 PM, Friendly Stranger said:

Give me more of what's teased on that Instagram preview! I respect what he's doing with the poppier, more refined sound but my personal preferences lean toward the weird, experimental, retro sounds. The teaser gave me some Odd Nosdam vibes. 

I can hear that

Yeah, didn't he do the "infinity window" lp artwork? I think I have another one that was the same vein of midwest noise scene lp... hang on and I'll dig that up. 

found it: Raglani "Husk" 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewYorkNowhere said:

That cover art tho
image.thumb.png.743e859d051649e03634295ad786c752.png

Bankhead did the left, Robert Beatty did both Currents and Magic. Dude's awesome, before his cover art career took off he was a DIY tape scene fixture both as a musician and visual artist. He's done art for both big acts and more obscure underground acts. He also uses an 00s era computer with photoshop he scored for free IIRC (or really, really cheap, it was a university desktop that was being replaced and otherwise trashed)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

He's an interesting dude, you've gotta admit he's not very predictable. 

Yep I was thinking the same. Not everything he makes I’m into but I prefer that, because when he does release something I always wonder what sound creation is coming my way. I’m glad OPN is on my favourite label of all time.