IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

2 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

Robert Beatty did both Currents and Magic

I know all about him! Love his stuff, just thought the comparison was funny. He makes interesting music aswell.
https://robertbeatty.bandcamp.com/album/persuasive-barrier

2 hours ago, kichiguy said:

Are there any tees to coincide with the release?

The ones that have already been announced are japan exclusive.

Lovely cover art (as always) and some great moods in the sounds.
Can't help but feel that he's good at invoking a vibe but that it's usually let down by the meandering structures that feel like a few sketches chucked together.

Haven't been properly into one of his releases since r+7 where the structures better serviced the whole.

• Like 1
  • Burger 2

13 minutes ago, Brian Dance said:

Can't help but feel that he's good at invoking a vibe but that it's usually let down by the meandering structures that feel like a few sketches chucked together.

Haven't been properly into one of his releases since r+7 where the structures better serviced the whole.

Feeling this as well. I do enjoy the vibe on these couple of tracks more than anything on age of tho

8 hours ago, Brian Dance said:

Nothing has really grabbed me, then again I've only listened to R Plus 7 and Garden of Delete. I gave R+7 a 3/5, but haven't rated the latter despite 3 listens, apparently. Not sure I ever tried Replica.

Why am I here? I don't know.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, fumi said:

Does JD still post on this forum? He'd be all over this.

I was really hoping he'd come out of the woodworks and start posting all the crazy shit that I don't even know how he finds like he did with the other opn albums, but it seems like he hasn't checked watmm in forever.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Yep I was thinking the same. Not everything he makes I’m into but I prefer that, because when he does release something I always wonder what sound creation is coming my way. I’m glad OPN is on my favourite label of all time. 

he's predictably interesting

4 hours ago, fumi said:

Does JD still post on this forum? He'd be all over this.

I think he went quiet again, last time we talked I backed up some stuff from his YT channel in case it got deleted by YT back in 2018 - actually I think he contacted me to see if Joyrex could unlock his profile or something, back when Age Of came out

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Like 1

Those three albums, Returnal, Replica and R Plus Seven (all following each other) is the best of him, IMO. Some of the best music I've ever heard.

I thought the majority of Age Of and Garden of Delete were just pretentious twaddle. 

Still a super talented artist - That 'Games' collaboration, the Tim Hecker material and those Commissions EPs. Just incredible stuff.

I think everyone likes or gravitates to a certain side of his work. That always happens with super talented artists.

Edited by fumi
  • Like 2

To be fair, OPN was one of the first truly experimental artists that I got really really into. Back in I think early 2016 when I discovered replica, I went crazy listening to every album by him. Up to that point I had really only been listening to... Well, not much. Discovering OPN really expanded my musical taste and I think really solidified my love of music. And GoD being my favorite record has alot to do with personal experiences with the album plus it catering towards my interests in terms of sound, visuals, and concepts.

But even with all that, I think that calling OPN pretentious is really really stupid. Does he have grand ideas? Sure. Can his music be a bit conceptual? Sure. But he is in no way pretentious. I've actually gotten to speak with the guy once or twice and he's a really nice dude who believes in the music he makes and doesn't think less of people who don't enjoy it. The definition of pretentious is thinking you're superior to someone/something, and that does not fit OPN at all.

Spoiler

If you wanna know who that really fits though, it's Aphex Twin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, species8472 said:

did someone say he was pretentious?

image.png.d34000bf4426934c17a866ba4b7e0034.png

2 hours ago, manmower said:

So, uh, does no one even talk about Rifts anymore? :cerious:

I love rifts! It's one of my most played albums. I love putting it on shuffle and watching rain. Such a calming and gorgeous album. I own it on cd. Have you heard a pact between strangers outside of rifts though? I'd say it's my favorite album from his pre-r+7 days. Plus, the final track was left off of rifts which is simply CRIMINAL.

• Like 1