IGNORED

Monolake - Archeopteryx - Nov 6

azatoth

On 11/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, Mic Finger said:

Quite a departure. Some classic Monolake nostalgia coming through, but there's a real love-letter-to-Kraftwerk vibe that permeates most of it. I don't dislike it; there are some beautiful atmospheres. I miss those Cinemascope/Gravity/Interstate textures, though.

ok this comment helped me get through it. Even as a KW obsessive I didn't pick up on the references but now that you mention it that makes a bunch of sense, and I kinda sorta like it. I've listened to this a bunch and there's still a few tracks that really annoy me but i'm getting into it.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 3:57 PM, dr lopez said:

ok this comment helped me get through it. Even as a KW obsessive I didn't pick up on the references but now that you mention it that makes a bunch of sense, and I kinda sorta like it. I've listened to this a bunch and there's still a few tracks that really annoy me but i'm getting into it.

Nice! Yeah, it specifically reminds me a bit of Tour de France Soundtracks, which I was listening to a lot during the same autumn (2003) as I was Monolake's Momentum, so the mashup is kind of surreal and makes me think of the photo internship I was doing in Montréal at the time.

Edited by Mic Finger

How are you guys not unanimously hailing this as the Second Coming? it is GIGANTIC. Absolutely stunning production, incredibly lush pads the likes of which we haven't heard from Robert before; there's so much going on in these tracks I don't even know in which direction to eargasm. On a good system, it sounds so extremely wide and so full and luscious at the same time, it's just out of this world.

MAMMOTH release, as far as I'm concerned. This has totally floored me; it's almost so overwhelming that I have to take breaks between tracks to collect myself. My favorite Monolake album in a long time and a strong contender for AOTY. I'm flabbergasted. What the actual fuck.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, IDEM said:

How are you guys not unanimously hailing this as the Second Coming? it is GIGANTIC. Absolutely stunning production, incredibly lush pads the likes of which we haven't heard from Robert before; there's so much going on in these tracks I don't even know in which direction to eargasm. On a good system, it sounds so extremely wide and so full and luscious at the same time, it's just out of this world.

MAMMOTH release, as far as I'm concerned. This has totally floored me; it's almost so overwhelming that I have to take breaks between tracks to collect myself. My favorite Monolake album in a long time and a strong contender for AOTY. I'm flabbergasted. What the actual fuck.

Yes it is very good. I think the issue is that it is a very slow burn of an album that requires multiple listens. Takes a bit of attention span.

2 minutes ago, eczem said:

I'm into it. I sounds quite unique to me, within the Monolake world.

Absolutely. I adore pretty much everything he's put out, but this truly feels like some next-level shit to me. I'm very curious to see how he'll evolve from here; could well be the start of a new creative period.

• Like 3

yeah finally listened to this myself. sounds awesome imo. really love how he pushes his sound into something more organic here - lots of this signature monolake sound but less computer music and more lush worlds. 

espace fourier is straight out of Tour de France soundtracks and Stereonerds-Pop Hd

• Like 3

On 11/29/2020 at 6:38 PM, IDEM said:

I'm more surprised everyone praise it here, i find his sound aesthetics flavourless, full & wide & gigantic etc. sound is a usual trope for every conventional producer. That said, i enjoy only very occasional tracks of his, so i'm still curious to listen, but continually find it too bland.

Espace Fourier is cool tho aside from generic production (Kraftwerk being far more peculiar)

2 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

I'm more surprised everyone praise it here, i find his sound aesthetics flavourless, full & wide & gigantic etc. sound is a usual trope for every conventional producer. That said, i enjoy only very occasional tracks of his, so i'm still curious to listen, but continually find it too bland.

Espace Fourier is cool tho aside from generic production (Kraftwerk being far more peculiar)

Well you are right on the fact that grand production has become a usual trope but I feel like in this case it complements Monolake's extraordinary music programming and creating skills well. This album really manages to build massive detailed landscapes in my head because of the wideness of the music on here. This paired with his amazing attention and ear for detail make for an unconvential album instead of it souding conventional.

Edited by thumbass

• 2 months later...