IGNORED

maxuino insanity

Guest yikes

I always feel like things like this come out so fucking boring for something so complex. The sounds could also be generated straight in a daw and don't have any special quality derived from such a convoluted signal generation method.

OK it's novel. So what. So is omfgdogs.com

What added value does the real-instrument-controlled-by-computer add to the work?

Also there is not really any discernable connection to the people standing around, and the music being played. I always feel like these interactive are pieces get so hung up on the technology and don't actually use it to say anything interesting, Just "hey look we could get 6 arduinos, max and live to talk to each other."

Ok, now what.

Guest yikes

i look at it as a performance/art instillation and the music is a novelty

i just love the idea that ardurino and max/msp is so flexible and can be applied in endlees ways

we are in agreement that the end reults are lack luster compared to say the laser harp

haha laser harp wins. (fuck that's awful)

Ya the fact that the medium is so open is what makes it such a challenging medium to work in. If we were all spectacularly amazed by the way paint is laid on a canvas, then we'd see lots of boring line stroke paintings. That's where interactive are is. We so wowed by the tech, that we forget to ask if it's actually interesting art.

Guest fogukaup

both these projects are amazing. I am fascinated by the ways technology challenges and fortifies our definition of art. Novelty is essential to the creative process and therefore will always intertwine with art.

of course, but novelty alone is poor material for artistic work. Novelty is only interesting when it is used in a manner which brings a viewer to some new understanding. If it's novelty for novelty's sake, then it's nothing more than a youtube video.

Archived