IGNORED

S/PDIF

Guest boo

i've tried google but i'm an idiot, so...

i have an edirol ua-25 and it has S/PDIF inputs. if i get a synth what's the simplest way to record it with these inputs? only expensive new synths seem to have S/PDIF outs.

would i be better off getting a di box and using the xlr inputs?

Guest version2006
i've tried google but i'm an idiot, so...

i have an edirol ua-25 and it has S/PDIF inputs. if i get a synth what's the simplest way to record it with these inputs? only expensive new synths seem to have S/PDIF outs.

would i be better off getting a di box and using the xlr inputs?

yes. use your DI. Better yet, get a GT Brick and bybass the Edirol's preamp. The tone will come from the pre-amp. having a nice one will open more doors.

Don't push your converters very hard. In the digital domain you have plenty of headroom (96db @ 24bit). I can explain this if it doesn't make sense or you want to know more.

Guest Captain Cooper

I just use the 1/4" jack inputs on my UA-25 (it's lovely isn't it). Why the eagerness for S/PDIF?

I just use the 1/4" jack inputs on my UA-25 (it's lovely isn't it). Why the eagerness for S/PDIF?

THD and noise floor!

if you actually have synths or other devices that are fitted with spdif, sure, use it

if not, just keep it in the analogue domain and use the jacks, or use a small 2-channel DA converter (no apogee rosettas or something like that, a cheap one will do since we're talking about a edirol ua-25)

i'm stupid.

i'll not think about these kind of things when extemely tired, and then post threads about them, from now on.

i was just thinking "what if i want to use a synth? it has no trs inputs AHHH!", completely forgetting that it does. i'm losing it.

(no apogee rosettas or something like that, a cheap one will do since we're talking about a edirol ua-25)

is the ua-25 that bad?

no no, as far as i've heard its a decent card..

but its not worth buying high-end converters for, a behringer DA will do fine.. i recently heard of a guy who used his MPC2000 in combination with a apogee rosetta800 to record it into his pc with a m-audio soundcard or something.. teehee...

Archived