IGNORED

Akai MPC 500

Guest analogue wings

Guest αnalogue ψings

mpc500.0.jpg

Here 'tis.

Will it be as cool or as influential as the MPC1000?

They've managed to not do a Roland and COMPLETELY ugly it up. And it's not "virtual" anythign cvos the original was a sampler anyway.

Linkity

mpc500003.jpg

GAK! There's no MIDI thru! What if you want to trigger other shit with the pads and still have a keyboard controller? Gay...

Guest we_kill_soapscum

the 1000 does not have timstretch or reverse. the latter is a luxury, the former is an instrisic part of the MPC experience. be warned.

the 1000 does not have timstretch or reverse. the latter is a luxury, the former is an instrisic part of the MPC experience. be warned.

doh! any news if the 500 will have those features?

* General Display: 2 x 16 character LCD w/back light

* Memory card slot:Compact Flash (The size of the compact flash card that MPC500 can handle is from32MB to 2GB)

* Dimensions: 266mm x 175mm x 44mm

* Weight: 1.34 kg

* Power requirement: 12v DC 600mA (negative tip)

* Battery life: Approximately 4.5 hours of continuous use with LCD backlight ON.

Sound Generator

* Sampling rate: 44.1kHz

* Memory capacity: 16MB standard (11.5MB for sound memory), expandable to 128MB

* Recording time: 136sec. (16MB, MONO) or 24m28sec. (128MB, MONO)

* Memory expansion slot: 1 x for optional EXM128

* Data format: 16-bit linear

* Polyphony: up to 32 (dependent on processing)

* Dynamic filtering: 2-pole lowpass filter per voice

* Preset sound memory: 5MB

* Number of programs: 24

Effects

* Effects: 2 stereo effects and Master effect

* Effect type: Chorus, Flanger, Bit grunger, 4 band EQ, Compressor, Phase shifter, Tremolo,

* Flying pan, Reverb, Delay

* Master effect: 4 band EQ, Compressor

Sequencer

* Maximum events: 100,000 notes

* Resolution: 96 parts per 1/4-note

* Sequences: 99

* Tracks per sequence: 48

* MIDI output channels: 16

* Song mode: 20 songs, 250 steps per song

* Drum pad: 12 (velocity and pressure sensitive)

* Drum pad banks: 4

* Sync mode: MIDI clock

Inputs/Outputs

* Record input (L and R): 1/4-inch stereo phone x 2, pseudo balanced -40dBu, input impedance 9k ohm

* Max. Input level: +10dBu

* Stereo output (L and R): 1/4-inch phone x 2 pseudo balanced +11dBu, output impedance 1k Ohms,

* Max. Output level: +5 dBu

* Phones output: 1/4-inch stereo phone x 1, 200mW / 100 ohms

* MIDI inputs: 1 x 5-pin DIN

* MIDI outputs: 1 x 5-pin DIN

* USB: Slave connector x 1, USB MASS STORAGE CLASS support (Windows 2000/ME/XP or later version, or Mac OS 9.x/10.x or later version.)

Data Compatibility

* MPC1000: SEQ, WAV, PGM

* MPC2000/2000XL: SEQ, WAV, SND, PGM (Most parameters of PGM file can be loaded.)

* MPC2500: SEQ, WAV, PGM

* MPC4000: SEQ, WAV, PGM (DRUM program only. Only note assign and tune are loaded.)

* MPC3000: SND (THRU Computer)

* Z4/Z8: WAV, PGM (DRUM program only. Only note assign and tune are loaded.)

* S5000/6000: WAV only (THRU Computer)

http://akaipro.com/prodMPC500.php

hmmm

did anybody need these to be smaller?

its beyond me why mpcs would have to be small in the first place, they should be built like a tank & have a nice solid size. i dont need to fit one in my pocket!

as for this 500 model: overpriced crap marketing hype product..

yeah, like i'd be pissed if they came out with a new sp-1200 that fit in your pocket. i like that shit huge and heavy.

maybe they made it small so people wouldn't notice that it still only can have 2GB of flash memory.

how cheap is storae these days? why have they never put a 160GB hdd in there?

i dunno, maybe because of the size/weight of an extra hdd? ofcourse, a hdd needs some kind of interface to transfer stuff to/from it. its not really practical to use one of those long flat IDE cables to transfer stuff from your pc to your mpc, i guess. so, a nice (usb/fw) interface will probably be pretty pricey.

ofcourse, the main advantage of flash memory is that its really portable so you wont have to put your mpc next to your pc to upload some samples. i think thats really important for some people..

but yeah, you can get a 300gb (S)ATA hdd for 100$ (retail) nowadays, incredibly cheap indeed.

so, a nice (usb/fw) interface will probably be pretty pricey.

ofcourse, the main advantage of flash memory is that its really portable so you wont have to put your mpc next to your pc to upload some samples. i think thats really important for some people..

just give me a firewire port to plug in a 300GB external drive.

that's plenty portable

i'd rather do that than carry around a little ziplock bag full of disorganized flash cards.

Archived