IGNORED

scott walker

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest awkward

yer might pick up the box set

i heard we love life by pulp along time ago but it was never that interesting.

big pulp fan though.

party hard from this is hardcore (my favorite album of theirs) is maybe an impression of walker vocals...maybe

such a good album

actually wickerman and sunrise are both brilliant, brilliant tracks. and maybe a bit scott.

'bad cover version' actually features 'the second side of when the band comes in' in its list of second-division things, with scott behind the mixing desk lol

Guest awkward

yer i remember sunrise being a great single but the rest not making much impression. wasnt that pulps last album?

Guest awkward

dunno about jarvis solo havent't heard. i think pulp is something i like because i use to like it and if i heard it now i might not.

did ya ever hear relaxed muscle?

did this turn into a pulp thread?

jarvis named his son albert

Guest awkward
a friend lent me 'drift' the other day, and man... this is really strange stuff.

i listen to a lot of stuff that could be considered strange or depressing, but this is just so monochrome and morose. i admire the scope of the thing and the non-linearity of it (sounds more like a play than an album)... but i had a really hard time listening to it.

his voice is like... mark mothersbaugh and mark hollis in vampire form or something... something very unsavoury and... sepulchral to it.

i don't know... i'd need to listen to it more than once, but having such a strong reaction i guess is admirable in itself.

yeah scares the shit out of me. i haven't got past a couple of tracks on it ever. i've gone back to then see how he got there but to be honest tilt seems to come outta nowhere. unless i'm missing something.

Guest awkward

yeah i realised after posting haven't heard anythign since scott4 so how the fuck would i know. of course its a leap for me.

so deep depression and alcholism in the 80s?

i'm still disapointed there isn't more nite flights type songs.

pretty much. most of the tracks on CoH don't even have names ('track3', 'track 7' etc) but it's more... acoustic or something at the same time. uber80s production like i said.

Guest awkward

*puts on headband and sweatbands*

*air guitar*

i'll check it out. need to check out the walker section at amoeba

Guest zaphod

reaaaally like scott 4, not sure if i can handle his later work. but no clue about it really. i've heard some of tilt and it sounded like dracula's musical biography. might go back and explore that.

andy:

[youtube]just the vid id here, ie zxY712Q54[/youtube]

this is also painful and stunningly minimally good: rosary from tilt

it's almost jandek-esque in its simplicity

zaphod: tilt is easy listening compared to the drift, really

great performance of jackie from the sixties

Guest zaphod

yeah i really love this guy's early music from the sixties. i don't know why either, i hate that general style of music. scott's something special.

that's what becoming really really famous when at heart you're a really introverted midwestern american into european cinema with a very bleak existentialist philosophy does to you i guess. he cites having a car overturned and half his scalp ripped off by screaming groupies as the turning point. i wonder what sort of music justin timberlake will be making in thirty years time.

i think scott walker is the most interesting living musician, besides the fact i've never disliked a thing he's done (i have deliberately stayed away from the late seventies fallow period bar a couple of recommended tracks)

rewatching that performance on jools holland, it really is so so good. a man and a guitar howling at the skies. doesn't come any more simple than that, and good and simple songs are the best songs. the venom he attacks the mic with at times chills me to the fucking bone.

i kiss holes for the bullets; in case of thigh, in case of thigh.... and i gotta quit

no idea what it means but i don't need to; it communicates to me on a purely emotional level, like all the best music.

Guest zaphod

although they sound worlds apart, i think had nick drake lived to the present he'd be sort of scott walker's folk equivalent.

hate to say it but nick was such an innocent soul he'd probably be recording advertising jingles for a pittance now :(

i hate the endlessly rolling nick drake reissue bandwagon; only one worse is jeff buckley's. fuck his mother, she should have left things lie as opposed to this shit.

• 1 year later...

nite flights

is the first

appearance of

scott lyrics

structured

like this in

the liner notes

- little blocks

of text. i think

that

is