IGNORED

THOMAS DOLBY | Akron, OH, US | Sept 14th

Guest jbible

Guest jbible
That first site intrigued me, than the second site confused me...

Which site... The Tangier's site?

Yeah its a restraint with a acoustically friendly cabaret performance space with pro sound guys, nice big stage, etc. Intimate setting with great sound!

If all goes well with this event Experimedia will have the opportunity to bring in some more acts of our choosing to play in a great sound setting.

Guest Drahken

No, the Thomas Dolby one...The guess its technically the 2nd site that shows him in a trenchcoat looking like some crazied techno guy, but then the second one has pictures of a jazzband, a 'sample' of jazz music and his blog? Too early I guess.

Guest jbible

Ah. He is touring with the Jazz Mafia Trios horn section as his backup.

http://www.jazzmafia.com/bands/jazz-mafia-trio/

"With 3 members playing, sampling, looping and triggering over 20 instruments, sounds of electro/jazz, intricate original songs and arrangements, hundreds of classic hip-hop breaks and hour long completely improvised compositions, the band has carved a nitch for itself in the San Francisco music scene."

Guest jbible

Last fall, Thomas Dolby hit the road and reminded audiences of his early contribution to the fusion of electronic and pop music. He also unleashed a live retrospective album and DVD, each called The Sole Inhabitant. Never one to stay in one place for long, Dolby will return to North American soil this year, but with a twist: He'll be joined by the Jazz Mafia Horns from San Francisco, who will help him present new material while adding new shades to Dolby's catalog of classics which include the hits "She Blinded Me With Science," "Hyperactive," "Europe and the Pirate Twins," "The Flat Earth" and more.

Dolby will also debut a new between-albums EP titled Thomas Dolby & the Jazz Mafia Horns: Live @ SXSW on his own Lost Toy People label. The five-song EP contains four Dolby originals ("The Key To Her Ferrari," "May The Cube Be With You," "My Brain Is Like A Sieve" and "Your Karma Hit My Dogma") as well as a new take on George Clinton's "Hot Sauce." The album is available at iTunes, CDBaby and ThomasDolby.com, and will be sold at tour stops across North America but will not be sold at brick-and-mortar retail outlets.

Of his hookup with the Jazz Mafia Horns, Dolby says, "I discovered in San Francisco there's a vibrant underground movement of young jazz musicians who are wide open to everything from 'turntablism' to New Orleans marching band funk. One ensemble that plays regularly in North Beach clubs and bars is the Jazz Mafia, whose numbers on a given night can vary from three to thirteen brass players. Over the years I've employed sampled and synthesized brass on many of my more up-tempo tunes, but I've rarely had the opportunity to jam with live horn players. It seemed to me that the inherent rigidity of my electronica might be nicely offset by the looseness and liveness of real brass, so I got with the Jazz Mafia and worked out new arrangements of some of my tunes. This works especially well when I'm building grooves by 'looping and layering' live tracks and building songs from scratch."

The Jazz Mafia Horns consist of Rich Armstrong, trumpet and backing vocals; Adam Theis, trombone; and Joe Cohen, saxophone.

In its review of Dolby's appearance at South by Southwest (SXSW) this past March, the e-zine LiveDaily.com wrote: "Unsurprisingly, the technological wiz is a gearhound. The stage at the Elysium looked like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise, with only a small space left for the Jazz Mafia Trio, a horn section that spiced up Dolby's electronic soundscapes. The bald, mad scientist-like Dolby was relaxed, personable and smiled from the start of his set to the finish. In between, he created off-the-cuff loops to back his vocals (both of which sounded great), danced, and managed a library of video imagery projected on a large movie screen; interspersed with canned video segments were live shots of the crowd, filmed via a cam mounted to Dolby's left headphone. The performance exemplified the word 'fun' - which makes perfect sense, since the presumably well-off Dolby isn't doing this for any other reason."

"Dolby’s one-man stage show is a bizarre hybrid of computer generated music, video montage, and film projections bordering on performance art theater."

"Dolby’s Video Jockey, Johnny DeKam mixes live video feeds of the performance with original footage onto large projection screens behind Dolby as he performs."

"For one number, Dolby constructs an entire song on-the-spot, with web cams tracking each step."

"It’s interesting to watch. I have a camera on my head so you can see my point of view on the knobs." - Dolby

298876077_31a85b7cb1_b.jpg

298876679_91e98c8949_b.jpg

143433533_2301d5638e_b.jpg

298876458_edb9f64b51_b.jpg

298876264_5ad63ba9c0_b.jpg

298876990_eef9260498_b.jpg

Guest jbible
I saw him live with BT last year. It was really, really boring. Most of the crowd was getting drunk or talking loudly on their mobiles, that's how bad it was. He's past his prime.

Im looking forward to it. The Jazz Mafia Horns section should add some interesting elements to the performance.

Guest jbible
Check out his podcasts

I'd be there if he was playing in england

Your in luck.

Thomas Dolby - England - Fall 2007

10.03.07 LONDON--ICA

10.04.07 BRIGHTON--CONCORDE

10.05.07 BRISTOL--ACADEMY

10.07.07 MANCHESTER--ACADEMY

10.08.07 BIRMINGHAM--ACADEMY

10.10.07 ISLINGTON--ACADEMY

• 4 weeks later...

opening performance by: (visit link for a live excerpt)

spec.dev

spec.dev pronounced spec-dot-dev and short for spectral development (formerly Databasis Basics) is the collaborative effort of Jason Henry (aka Halfadder) and Jeremy Bible, the duo behind the eclectic Ohio based international leftfieldist artist collective and recording label Experimedia Communications. The duo’s undefinable and constantly evolving sound pulls from their diverse influences of techno, electro, electronic music, experimental, dub-step, ambient, glitch, dnb, musique concrète, jazz, noise, and hip-hop to explore uncharted territory. Rumbling bass, breakneck beats, glitchy rhythms, dissonant atmospherics, incoherent voices, dubbed out echos, and field recorded environments are just a few of the characteristics that are likely to shine through during the duo’s live performances. With every liveset unique however, one can never know what to expect next from the rebellious electronic duo. If you're looking to treat your ears to new evolutionary sounds then keep an ear on spec.dev.

specdev.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived