IGNORED

Bill Could Mean Jail For Internet Flamers

Guest Iain C

Guest Iain C

Thank God I got away with a three-day suspension...

A cyberbullying bill introduced last month has the potential to put half the Internet behind bars.

The Megan Meier Cyberbullying Prevention Act is Congress’ response to the 2006 suicide of a 13-year-old girl who was harassed on MySpace. The bill makes electronic communication a felony if “the intent is to coerce, intimidate, harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person.”

Congressmen probably aren’t the most Web-savvy bunch, but anyone familiar with trolling, flaming, and various other forms of online bullying could see a problem with this bill.

Network World examines the bill and explains this new breed of Internet criminal:

Given the freewheeling exchanges that characterize everything from SMS text messages and instant messaging to blogs and Web site comments, the broadly written bill potentially could turn a lot of flamers and bloggers into felons.

flamesanimjl0.gifflamesanimjl0.gifflamesanimjl0.gif

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/12/bi...ternet-flamers/

Guest Rambo

I didn't read the article but just wanted to say that i'm delighted that those queers will soon be brought to justice!

Archived