IGNORED

blu-ray capacity to increase to 33.4GB

kaini

I think storage will keep up personally. Online storage and the continuation of hdd trends should see to it. You never know what creative ways people will come up with to make obscenely huge files though! Ultra high definition is supposedly between 4 and 16 times the resolution of the HD we have now and thats supposed to be making an entrance in 5-10 years - then there's 3D - are we going to bother with that? I don't know really, i haven't sampled it properly yet. Then one of the biggest things to consider is how much of gaming content is going to be stored online? I haven't a clue but that could make all the difference.

10 years from now, Peta and Exabyte HDDs will be commonplace as Terabyte drives can be had for as little as 70USD nowadays.

I was looking at some graphs a couple of months ago and worked out that the first 1 Petabyte drive will probably fall between 2018-2020. So exabytes are going to be a fair while after that.

it's an exponential curve of sorts and therefore pretty hard to predict

We'll see how that's looking in 5 or 6 years if we are still here!

Archived