IGNORED

Heavy Rain

so what's up with that… i felt very ambivalent about this game.

it had incredible moments, the action scenes and all the stuff where things had to happen fast were really fun… then there's the crappiest, most frustrating controls ever…

also the story. some interesting twists , nice humor etc, but at the same time so fucking cheesy.

also this is the game with the most toilet scenes ever.

Possible spoilers ahead.

Yeah it's a constant stream of hit and miss. Sometimes pressing those button combo's is fun and satisfying, most of the time it's not. Running and looking around is ridiculously frustrating. Action sequences are kind of sweet though.

The story and characters are vague and extremely shallow. The twist seemed a little far fetched and I can't stand that stupid FBI cop or that goth whore (every scene with that bitch was cringeworthy.) Facial animations and character design is also very hit and miss. Some characters have really amazing facial expressions. And than there are characters like that FBI cop which are in a completely different ballpark. They really need to work on quality control.

I like this game because it's trying to do it differently. That it tries to bring a new way of storytelling into the medium. That it tries to incorporate player failing into the storyline.

But it still lacks subtlety in a lot of places. One of my favorite moments was the toy lightsaber fight with your kid where I let the kid win because I fell sorry for him. But most of it is too apparent. Most of the time the mechanics are way too clear and this obstructs my reasoning. Because I'm still thinking about seeing as much of the game as possible, not being engaged into some "instinctive experience" Cage had in mind. For example: I let that girl strip completely naked just because I wanted to see her tits. I wasn't worried about her getting shot. The game should have at least punished me for just wanting to see tits.

Maybe I'll play it again and will try and kill some of the characters I can't stand. Or just toy around and do as much inconsistent stuff as possible. Point is, the experience didn't work. Which is a damn shame.

My only issues is that it was too short. I enjoyed it and I agree that the plot felt a bit cheesy. Game was fun, unique and looked great.

Archived