IGNORED

What defines youth ?

Guest the anonymous forumite

Guest disparaissant

youth is about seeing things in black or white. It's all about dichotomies. When one gets older, opinions ought to become more refined.

i see this go both ways. i know (and like to think i was one of them) quite a few teenagers who have really well developed senses of right and wrong. i know absolute assloads of people who are well over the hill that have an utterly rigid black and white view of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlberg's_stages_of_moral_development

many people just stop at stage 4.

next we should talk about the wildly idealistic period many people go through in their early 20s

for example, never ask a room of freshmen students 'what is art' unless you are a very particular kind of masochist

Guest disparaissant

next we should talk about the wildly idealistic period many people go through in their early 20s

for example, never ask a room of freshmen students 'what is art' unless you are a very particular kind of masochist

this very question is why i dropped out of art school. im honestly surprised that my profs didn't go apeshit and bring guns in.

no nm they were too stoned all the time.

also, the phase of complete and utter cynicism that seems to follow it in most people i know. i'm there!

Lol.

one more: being young is being able to do two ore more all-night parties in a row.

edit. and being able to fully recover from a hangover in less than a day.

also, the phase of complete and utter cynicism that seems to follow it in most people i know. i'm there!

is that at all related to the feeling that the amount of money you spent is oddly disproportionate to the value of your educational experience?

:emotawesomepm9:

Guest disparaissant

is that at all related to the feeling that the amount of money you spent is oddly disproportionate to the value of your educational experience?

:emotawesomepm9:

nah i was more thinking "what does it matter, why be idealistic and political, politicians don't care. why protest things, it doesn't make a difference." that sort of thing.

i've got to spend even more money on school. really really should finish up my degree. even if i know that, at this point, i probably won't ever be doing anything in the field i want to do anything in and at best, i will end up using my degree to manage a fucking walmart.

nah i was more thinking "what does it matter, why be idealistic and political, politicians don't care. why protest things, it doesn't make a difference." that sort of thing.

You know me.

In my case I went to music school and discovered that really, music isn't what I want to do for a living anyway. As soon as I get paid to produce a product (and usually you are just asked to immitate someone else when you do soundtracks), making art becomes just a mechanical and technical exercise as opposed to meaningful

Now I fix computers.

:lol:

one more: being young is being able to do two ore more all-night parties in a row.

indeed. or being able to easily recover from other substances that last 12 hours or more. lol.

Guest disparaissant

In my case I went to music school and discovered that really, music isn't what I want to do for a living anyway. As soon as I get paid to produce a product (and usually you are just asked to immitate someone else when you do soundtracks), making art becomes just a mechanical and technical exercise as opposed to meaningful

Now I fix computers.

:lol:

indeed. or being able to easily recover from other substances that last 12 hours or more. lol.

yeah i came to the realization that i had no interest in doing art/design for a living about 2 years in and dropped out and made some other bad choices. now i would very much like to go back for something along the lines of art history/archaeology.

seconding the hangover thing. 2 day hangovers suuuuuuck.

Guest theSun

i always got bad hangovers, even when i just started drinking in my teens. maybe i'm an old soul?

Guest sirch

that's 'Club 18 - 30'..

Guest sirch

seconding the hangover thing. 2 day hangovers suuuuuuck.

just begin drinking again, the moment you wake up! works for me LOL

Guest disparaissant

How old is a "young man"? I've always liked that phrase.

i call my friend that all the time. he's 26. (i'm 25 lol)

Guest sirch

it's weird isn't it, asking how old a person is..

how old and decayed are you now? how many wrinkles do you have .. you saggy old fucker.. ?

how long do you have left to breathe air before your heart stops beating, your blood stagnates and your body starts oozing shit?

Archived