IGNORED

88 Key (Weighted) Midi Controllers

Guest iamabe

Guest iamabe

I've tried learning piano a few times but only on 49 key controllers, and I lost my motivation fast because I couldn't play most of the pieces I liked. I think it's time for 88 keys. The m-audio Keystation 88es seems like the best deal, but I've heard that the velocity response is poor and frustrating to use for some. Can anyone recommend a no-frills midi controller (don't need any knobs or sliders, just keys and an exp. pedal) that has good action, preferably weighted or semi-weighted? The m-audio also appeals to me because the form is about as slim as you can go.

The keystation costs $200 (cheap as hell), but i'm willing to spend more if it's worth it.

Guest mafted

if you want the weighted you should just get a concert piano, which will have midi anyways. a weighted midi controller seems like a waste of time and money.. imo.

Guest Adam

You should try cme uf8. They're already discontinued but you probably could get one cheap on ebay. And they're really good. And look cool too. :wink:

233615.jpg

Guest iamabe

if you want the weighted you should just get a concert piano, which will have midi anyways. a weighted midi controller seems like a waste of time and money.. imo.

I have plenty of plugins that I assume would sound as good as a digital concert piano, so I figure I should save and get an empty midi controller instead of a concert piano. but looking at my options it seems like I may as well just get a concert piano since the m-audio is the only really affordable controller anyway.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Ive got this, its pretty fucking nice, it works really well for punching in percussion in superior drummer as well, feels perfect

1cda6e22f64a161bd8494c0aa5a710d9.jpg

pretty expensive though

Guest tysen

I wouldn't try learning piano on any midi controller. I dunno if you're actually from Boston like your location is set to (if so, jealous as I used to live there and loved it :[) but I found five ads for free upright pianos on the boston craigslist on the first page. Playing a real piano, even if it doesn't sound half as good as your piano plugin, is gonna be better, and conning a friend into helping you transport it to your house would be cheaper than any midi controller anyway.

At the very least, get a digital piano that's got its own voice so it can be played independently of your computer.

Guest iamabe

I don't have any room in my dorm for an upright piano, really. but I've definitely heard that I should learn on the real thing.

but meh, I'm not that serious so like a casio CDP-100 is probably what I'll get.

Guest tysen

Pianos are only given away, because the difficulty and expense that goes into transporting one, is huge.

The difficulty and expense of transporting a grand piano is huge. An upright can be put in the bed of a truck.

Archived