IGNORED

question for the web heads (niche thread, chinstroking required)

Guest KY

hey all,

so I'm trying to come up with an html5-friendly embedded video solution for my site, www.james-works.com. at the moment, my reel exists online as a shittily compressed vimeo iframe.

so far, my internet searches have led me towards this site: http://diveintohtml5.org/video.html

among other things, they suggested i encode different video files to work on different servers (although my inability to figure out ffmpeg has prevented me from making the webm video).

but by the time they reached the markup section, they started talking about editing the .htaccess file on my server to add MIME types. I use godaddy (yeah, bad move, haven't changed yet, i know). I have no clue how to access my .htaccess file, and am basically fucked at this point.

to the few web developers/designers/coders who frequent the forum, any suggestions?

and to satisfy those who don't know what i'm talking about:

[vimeo]17206140[/vimeo]

I don't know about the video, sorry, but I believe you can just save a new file in notepad++ (or whatever editor you use) as exactly ".htaccess" and upload it to the root directory of the content you want it to effect on the server. I think....

edit: although, I've heard that some hosts don't like people fucking with their .htaccess file for whatever reason, you might want to check first.

Archived