IGNORED

do you think Roland

YEK

Guest Duke Remington

yo the moon, you're a genius. thanks for explaining that so well.

i also agree the demand for 303s REALLY isnt that big, it's just alot of people here seem to be stuck in a very small circle where they can't see acid house is just a tiny sub-genre in which very few people still have interest in. And you don't want to use a 303 as a ``bass guitar synthesizer`` do you? no. you use a 303 to make acid, along with 707 909 808. thats it. its just a fun piece of memorabilia/musical toy.

and yes, you have to manufacture the parts and that costs alot because you cant use these parts for other things than the 303.

hey the moon, care to give your view on analog recording vs digital?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey awesome - i've got no memory of writing any of that - tail end of an all-nighter's drum programming in renoise... was pretty much a zombie

recently, especially this year in fact, i've got more and more into digital processing... it's just difficult being objective about it all the time... there's things like Voxengo GlissEQ and CurveEQ which completely change the way i work... you can do dynamic EQ'ing and convolution based EQ'ed, with a real time analyzer to show exactly what's going on

it's changed my whole approach to mixing

but then there's still times when desk EQ is much more effective - it's kind of a constant balancing act between the functionality and recall of digital stuff, and the kind of tonal effects you can get off analog

i use very little analog as well because i like to keep my setup as minimal as possible - just a laptop, small desk and a keyboard or two

but very few ppl ever get to hear high quality analog recordings before they go through conversion

i was working at the studio jamiroquai were recording travelling without moving, and right up until final mixdown there wasn't a single stage of conversion on anything - it was all straight from the recording room into the patchbay, desk, racks, and onto studer 2" tape

back then i was only assisting and had never really used tape before... took me about 2 weeks to get used to it... you don't realise, when you listen to digital audio it's like hearing the sound through a plate of thick frosted glass - like it's not really there

when you hear it recorded direct like that, your brain cannot figure out the fact that the band isn't playing live in the next room... whenever they press play on the machine you hear the sound coming out the speakers (think it was only NS10's), and you automatically think it's a live feed - you just don't associate the realism with a recording - it's like a solid physical quality

eventually it had to go down to DAT, and it's a bit like blowing your nose and just wiping a bit on the queen's birthday cake which you've been commissioned to decorate

if i could only have one piece of studio gear, it would be a laptop because i do actually work much better with all my stuff in one box... i kind of feel i've worked with analog gear long enough to sort of know how to achieve the sound i always go for using mostly plug-ins - but i think it's very anal and takes a lot more thought... there's still things like bass, compression and saturation which i think you really need analog for if you don't want to comprimise your sound

Guest Duke Remington

but technically, what do you think gives tape such a quality? is it the constant micro-fluctuations of the tape?

i bought a reel to reel machine once. it was an akai model 8 i think, 16 tracks on half inch tape. the muffling of the high end is horrible when youre used to a good soundcard with mackie monitors. but man.... if you make sure everything is distorting A LITTLE BIT its like natural compression that ties the whole mix together. i mean you can record even a very boring beat on tape and its going to sound good. i sold the reel the reel because it takes way too much time to rewind, over dub, etc. i prefer arranging stuff in cubase and SEE the sound, although some people might not like seeing the sound. its true i have to close my eyes or better, turn my monitor off because i lose my concentration o nthe sound and concentrate on the visuals too much, the audio clips, the little bar moving, etc. thats another advantage of analog, it just gives you sound and doesnt... hypnotize you with a compuer screen.

Guest Barrichello

threads like this make watmm sick.

honestly.

wtf has happened to this place.

full of anal banality.

reminds me of EM411 gone wrong.

oh yeah, 16 tracks on 1/2 inch won't leave you much bandwidth

i use a revox with 2 tracks on 1/4 inch - at 15ips you notice no real loss in top-end at all - as long as it's clean and calibrated and everything

BOC use a lot of tape saturation - but their sound goes for the really retro, wow and flutter thing, with huge muffling in the top-end

i don't use it much at the moment but it's a useful effect

apparently tape's one of those things which is impossible to model... the 3-dimensional/physical effect you get off tape is probably something to do with stereo phase, but no one's manages to work out how it does it - and it's not the kind of thing you can sample with convolution

the latest neve tape head emulator actually uses a real tape head - only way to do it and get that effect

it would be amazing if everyone could hear mixes as they sound before they go to DAT in a good recording studio - it would break down the barrier between the musician and the listener i think

what i hate about mp3's after a while is how distant and disconnected you feel from the music... i didn't even think about it until recently, but you notice it changes how ppl treat and think about music these days

i think it was autechre who said if you're not the most anal person who hears your music then you're doing something wrong

certainly BOC and aphex aren't adversed to spending more than £5k (and lately, as much as £100k) on a single synth

you could call that anal - but then ppl who're into football, art, anything really, tend to get as geeky and as anal as their free time will allow

Guest Duke Remington

honestly.

full of anal banality.

yo baricello why dont you go put a 12 inch shotgun in ur anus and pull the trigger till it goes click?

Guest Duke Remington

true about being anal. you have to know EVERYTHING and every detail is important when you produce art, be it knowledge from direct experience (learning to drip the paint like pollock, knowing how to turn the knobs, what the knobs do...) or from other people's experience (reading, writing on message boards, talking with people,etc.).

an artist needs: 1. pretention 2. knowledge 3. talent 4. PERSPIRATION, AND YES THAT INCLUDES ANAL PERSPIRATION

Guest Duke Remington

hmm i think were not talkign about the same bass guitars christ moss :)

im talking jaco pastorius, les claypool, victor wooten...

using the tb-303 as a bassline in a guitar song

http://huzzitac.kaen.org/acid/flowerbed.mp3

i knocked it up in 3 minutes and havnt played guitar in agges

heh that's awesome

yeah i suppose that's actually what roland intended you do with them

you should do some more stuff like that - acid folk music

haha chriss that SO wasn't like a bass guitar. :D :D

i've heard a few tracks that do have a tb-303 sounding like a bass guitar and it's not that hard to get it to sound that way. you gotta keep the resonance really low and use the sawtooth. use long notes.

haha chriss that SO wasn't like a bass guitar. :D :D

i've heard a few tracks that do have a tb-303 sounding like a bass guitar and it's not that hard to get it to sound that way. you gotta keep the resonance really low and use the sawtooth. use long notes.

dude i know. i wasnt exactly doing a best seller of a track...

but then again, it's a tb-303 it's ment to reprisent a bassplayer.. so some guitar shredder in the 80's preobally had that exact same setting as me... and though WTF?!..

maybe later on i'll try your methood... actually.. wtf i'll do it now...

Guest Barrichello

honestly.

full of anal banality.

yo baricello why dont you go put a 12 inch shotgun in ur anus and pull the trigger till it goes click?

haha! what a funny cunt.

that's better. thread improved immediately/

well done.

Archived