IGNORED

american+worldwide copyright representation...

Guest arbee

Guest ambodino mutuumbooo

hello peeps at ekt,

my band and i are making music for a while now (more than 5 years) but since the last year or so, we've started having some kind of attention by the medias here, in québec. we get to do shows every now and then (about 1 or 2 every month) and we are getting airplay on the national radio, etc. so with all that stuff happening to us, we decided to suscribe to the SOCAN which is a kind of copyright canadian organisation that pretty much check the stuff for you and they give back the money to you when you get played. well I'm not here to explain all that stuff...

with the contracts we recieved, there is an extra thing that is about american (and worldwide, I guess) copyrights and we don't really know what to do. from what I checked, there are 2 organisations: BMI and ASCAP. I'm not quite sure but I think that those two kind of do the same thing than the SOCAN in Canada but in the United States.

I would like to know if you guys have already deal with them... if the answer is positive, I'd like to know the differences between the two and which one would you recommend ?? anyways, thanks guys for reading and I hope I get an answer...

thanx and pz.

arbee monkey

Guest user

If I were you I'd get a lawyer, especially if you plan on expanding your ventures with the band.

Things like this can get complicated and a lawyer doesn't have to be expensive, as far as I know a lot of these organisations like SOCAN can recommend lawyers and you get a discount if you are a member.

Archived