IGNORED

Darren Cross - Keeping Up?

Roo

Out 6th november (Bandcamp Friday). No issue (or much in the way of release) details yet but probably some vinyl option eventually.

Darren Cross was a key creative force in Gerling back in the late 90s/early 00s and has since done a few solo/collab projects since. Last half decade he had the excellent _Xantastic & Peacer (lot of great DIY music videos from this period on YT) as well as the neat Jep & Dep folk-noir side-project with Jessica Cassar. Since 2019 he has released two lush new wavey ambient American Primitive releases Ecstatic Racquet & Terabithian under the instrumentalist moniker 'D.C Cross'. This seems a follow-up to Peacer but the description as "guitar-free", "an escape into nostalgia inducing instrumental music made on obsolete computers, drum machines and OSX 10.8.5" might suggest a continuation of some of the lushness thrift on the D.C Cross records, and finding solidarity with other remnants made to feel obsolete in the here and now.

One of those multi-talent Gen Xers still tryin to keep it real and true, I'd recommend a lot of his discography (Bandcamp). Will repost when release tracklist/art/preorder/etc. are known.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

"Greetings friends, this is the time - Keeping Up? by Darren Cross has been let free into your ears, hearts and minds.

My first purely electronic album since 2008, made on obsolete computer, drum machine and OSX 10.8.5. Created during the second half of this Covid weirdo year, this album is nostalgia inducing, #lofi tranquility-#VHS fuzziness that pangs off unknown memories. I was spending a lot of hours at once creating this music...a lot of the time the magic was happening around 12:30-3am - that space when you are so tired but not sleeping..conscious lucid plonking i call it ? anyhoo thats probably why this album has a weird vibe- a weird year. I put down the acoustic guitar for the first time in 3 years [D.C Cross] and without going into the heavy parts of the story- grief was all around..so i slipped back into old electronic computer music i loved from the 90's. Keeping Up? has a similar vibe to that 90's electronic space but you can tell it was created this year- this September..there is just something about it- the muse dragged me along for a woozy ambient ride and the result is here for you all to enjoy. A #bandcamp exclusive, thats the only way to fly these days for truly independent music creators. I kept the album at $12, which I think is fair. So drop the drum machine roll and heres the link https://darrencross.bandcamp.com/

There is a 1 minute demonstration video and sound byte on the bandcamp page to wet your whistle, give you a taste of the album. Please use the hashtag #darrencrosskeepingup on socials if you would like to share the #lofi love.

Until next time,

Darren X."

Very nice stuff, ambient with a hypnagogic/bit vibe, could imagine it going down very well stoned. As per usual, a hidden track with your download. Only digital bandcamp this time.

Edited by Roo

• 10 months later...
  • Daz_TeenageGerling changed the title to Keeping Up? by Darren Cross (2020) re-released on limited edition shopping mall cd - BOC vibes kind of - weirdo/ ambient/blissed out/ VHS - Bandcamp only
  • 3 weeks later...