IGNORED

Lost? Reason File...

I had to restore my hard drive yesterday, only a partial restore. The problem is that now I cannot access my original user folder through the documents and settings folder. I get the pop-up *access denied; folder is password protected*. There has to be some way to access that folder, I know what the password is, there's gotta some way to use the password to get back in there. The file I need access to is a track I spent the better part of yesterday working on :(, I fear it may be gone forever....

Please if anyone know's of a way to access this folder again let me know.

thanks.

Guest version2006

aight, I have been through this one before.

I'm assuming your using XP. You need to login as Administrator (ctrl+alt+delete twice at the "welcome login" screen to get the prompt)

Right click on the folders you are having problems accessing and give ownership to the new user you had to setup after the reinstallation. Here is a tutorial on that process

from that link...

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

======================

If you are not using XP or I am missing the point of your problem, please explain further.

Guest version2006

sometimes when I am about to try to fix some computer shit I try to visualize the number 7 in my head.

7 is a lucky number.

Guest version2006

There is probably an option to have the sub folders inherit the permissions of the parent folder. Additionaly, you could go into the folder and perform the same operation on the "desktop" folder.

Archived