IGNORED

Super Snappy Kick

Guest jamesy boy!

Guest Salient

How do I make a super snappy kick, like with no delay, and keeping it really punchy? I'm no expert at compression.

I'm trying to sort of replicate the kick that Jega uses in alternating bit.

CHEERS

hit it up with a 5:1 ratio on the compresor...(if it's softwware.. less if it's hardware.

attack at about half a millisecond... short release.

fuck about with the settings a bit.

edit: i should say thhat this setting is not a panacea, just a good place to start.

oh cool, cheers, i'll give it a whirl

and i don't know why i said delay, i meant decay

you could also try putting a really harsh noise gate on it... one that cuts out anything below a couple of dB, maybe even one dB under your top level

Guest HoTLiPz

remember, if your kicks main energy is at 50hz, the human ear only hears this frequency after one full cycle, ie 1/50th of a second, which gives you a late kick. so try pushing your kiks forward in time by this amount and tell me what it sounds like you crazy bakkstid! :laughing:

Guest Salient

well, what i did in the end was took my original kick shortened it to 0.2 of a second, compressed it as pylonbitch said, layered it with an 808 BD, and all is well.

Then I EQd the motherfucker.

make your own in sound forge....fm synthesis => sinewave.... and apply a pitch bend to it... then its up to you how snappy it will be... even without compression

Archived