IGNORED

renoise

Guest Adjective

Guest Adjective

i know i can trigger a sample at different locations using 09**

but can i map those locations to the keyboard?

like load a drum loop as an instrument

and then mapping the offsets to different keys,

so instead of entering the key + 09** i could enter just the keys:

c 03

c# 0a

d 3e

d# 4d

e 9f

e# 6b

i usually don't work with whole loops

just use recycle and chop up / export slices as waves

i know i could import the sample a dozen times and then just trim it different for multiple keys, but that isn't any more convenient than recycle.

optionally:

is there something like 'export selection to new kit entry' or 'export selection to next instrument slot'

oh i see what you mean... not that i know of but it's not a bad idea - would've thought it'd be a pretty easy feature to implement

i'd normally chop it up by hand and assign each one to a different sample slot - it's still 10x quicker than doing it on an Akai or Ensoniq, and you get the funk in your programming which recycle can't pick up on

then again 900 offset's great when you're used to it because there's only really a few different drum break patterns - so you get used to 40 and c0 being a snare, get used to the shuffle 60, 70, 80, 90

so i tend to program in my head, bd, sn, bd, sn, shuffle, open hat, closed hat -> 0404678923

super fast

Guest Adjective

maybe i need to enter one of those beat battle things for the chance of winning and suggesting a feature.

i suppose you're right about common drum placements, i haven't given it enough time to recognize the common ##. i'll probably just keep slicing up each hit though, because i have gotten into the practice of using offset on already chopped hits to create rolls that climb or fall in volume. seems to sound better than just adjusting the volume

You can create an instrument like that if you want. One thing you could do is chop the break into 8 pieces, load them into one file and hit the "generate drumkit" button in the instrument editor. I suggest you just get more use to using the sample offset command. Like Maynard said, the most commonly used hits will fall on 0,2,4,6,8,A,C, and E. Though that only applies to breaks with perfectly timed hits. They might implement a feature to let you change the sample offset points, similar to recycle (?) for breaks that aren't perfect.

Here's an instrument for you. This is what you're talking about, yes?

mrsensi.shitstorm.org/instrument.rni

The parts I cut out I placed at the end for time stretching reasons.

Guest greenbank

sample offset for tracking beats etc. is a terrible method - its way too imprecise, you rely on the inbuilt ramping to avoid clicks and its not half as powerful and simple as simply chopping the beat entirely in a wave editor then using an instrument for each hit (a full instrument for more control + you then retain the ability to repitch samples conveniently in the track which is essential).

Guest Mr. Magoo

greenbank i have to tell you, your music is fantastic esspecialy towering tape organ!!! it fits your discription perfectly but i also imagine a tape-worm, i know tape means the Mellotron, but it also reminds of a tape-worm, yeah, when you gonna release stuff on vinyl?

Guest greenbank

greenbank i have to tell you, your music is fantastic esspecialy towering tape organ!!! it fits your discription perfectly but i also imagine a tape-worm, i know tape means the Mellotron, but it also reminds of a tape-worm, yeah, when you gonna release stuff on vinyl?

uhhh cheers! vinyl? pfff! when a label responds favourably to one of the demos i've sent out?! i hope?

Guest Adjective
sample offset for tracking beats etc. is a terrible method - its way too imprecise, you rely on the inbuilt ramping to avoid clicks and its not half as powerful and simple as simply chopping the beat entirely in a wave editor then using an instrument for each hit (a full instrument for more control + you then retain the ability to repitch samples conveniently in the track which is essential).

i agree, though i don't believe it's universally terrible, and i will continue to chop most likely.

i think what i really want is something like 'slices' that .rex files offer and to be able to map those to keys, not necessarily in increments of hex. to have that feature internally in renoise would save me a little time. anything that gets a thought out of my head and digitized faster, without compromising quality, is a good thing for the track.

Guest Adjective

=)

i'm aware, thanks

i post here because i like the people here

otherwise i'd google, wikipedia, masturbate and never speak to anyone

tonnes of dnb producers use 900 offset - i use it all the time as it's so quick to chop up and rearrange a break without having to go in and destroy the groove

of course it's not much use with live breaks, unless you fine tune later, which involves going into the sample editor, move the cursor to a beat and see whether it intersects at 0920 or 0921 for example

but generally i'll only use 900 offset on breaks i've already cut up and resampled

if you're doing dnb, it can be very labourious to have to import a live break, cut it up, mess with ambiences, ping pong loops, and time compression, just to hear how it'll sound layered... so it's an idea to have the common as muck: shack up, hot pants, tighten up, think, etc. all tight and cut up at roughly the tempo you're going to use them

then 900 offset comes into its own... if your break has a wierd rhythmic structure, kicks and snares in wierd places, you import another break to layer - you mess with 900 offset so you've got that break retriggering at certain points so it follows the groove

now if you want to try a different break in its place you just load it into that sample slot and it automatically follows the same beat structure

if you're auditioning 20-odd different breaks for a part, that is unbelievably efficient

with an akai or working with recycle and SX, that could take a whole day

Guest greenbank

it doesn't stop it being shittily imprecise and liable to result in clicks/unwanted volume ramps etc. and you don't have full control over the individual samples which is a bad thing. you should have shackup, hotpants etc. already chopped by hand into component beats in folders for dragging in from the sample silo (i assume you can drag and drop samples in renoise too - i'm a modplugger) and then when you've got them in its always necessary to make tons of changes to fit the tune you're doing - shortening/changing volume envelopes, changing pitch, EQing etc etc. and having everything seperate makes it a piece of piss to have abolute control over the tune. sample offset is not without its uses but no way would i ever use it for breaks the way you do - its plain wrong.

what do you mean 'cut up at roughly the tempo you're going to use them'? you surely don't speed them up before cutting? original pitch dude! trackers are repitching gods! chuck it in at regular speed then change the tempo/pitch up as you see fit, having the two independent from each other is amazing. if you want to layer 2 or more breaks then just move the main beats to overlap each other, or just use both in a new groove. so much power!

i don't think either of us really know what you're rattling on any more...

it's best to use 900 offset on breaks which are perfectly tight

you can use any audio editor or recent sequencer to audio quantize a break, or you can do what most dnb producers would do and cut up your breaks by hand, ready for use in whatever project you're working on

the most common way to do it is to chop up all your obvious breaks into 2-step patterns - i do this in renoise, some people prefer to do it on an Emu or Akai, it's fairly quick with SX and/or recycle.

then when you import it into a tracker (say you're auditioning different breaks for a tune) you've already got your layout and all the necessary programming, pitch changes, panning, reverses, rolls, volume changes, etc. if you want

0.c-400 0900

1.--

2.--

3.--

4.--

5.--

6.c-400 0900

7.--

etc.

that transforms a 2-step beat into a more traditional jungle beat - you can then load whatever break you want into the sample window and it'll follow exactly the same programming... you can adjust the break's pitch individually if you want, i.e. change one value and the whole break pitches up or down, and you can obviously trigger different notes into the programming

Archived