IGNORED

BoC's next album

Guest Doc at the Radar Station

I had a thought today about the possible "next step" for BoC, their next album, and their overall sound/direction.

It is getting increasingly difficult to use samples without the proper clearance. Such as clips from TV, film, and speech. Proper clearance takes a lot of money and effort, so will BoC abandon this in future do you reckon? For example, we all know there are many samples used in Music Has The Right... and Geogaddi, but significantly less have been used in TCH.

So I'm thinking this may have to be a continuing trend for BoC, and it's possible that this will cause them to compromise their artistic vision which I feel is very sad. There very well may be a complete shift in their sound, atmosphere and "image", and whilst this makes me curious, it also saddens me that this may only be because of the ridiculously tight rules on sample use.

Thoughts?

Guest roygbiv

It's the record label that pays for the samples to be cleared, right?

I'm sure Warp have enough respect for BoC to pay whatever bill they produce.

Respect yeah, cash probably not. Seriously are Warp going to give BoC free reign on sample use if they have to foot the bill? Brw, does anybody on here know what kind of deal BoC have with Warp, like how many releases they have left until they are out of contract? I also wonder whether Warp see BoC as a viable future investment for the label what with all this sampling crap.

jesaus.

even twoism is better than the boc sub.

lol, yeah I think I agree, this place is the lameness.

Seriously though, this place stinks. I don't know if you're being serious or if it's all part of some retarded in-joke that takes a few years to get to the punchline. So you like a good band, well done. This doesn't necessarily mean you're intelligent or funny. Acting intelligent or funny probably means you are though, and you're acting like a retard, so ...well I guess you can see where I'm going here (or maybe not? oh dear)

Guest Archrival

seriously, dont you think BOCs vocals are a bit toooooo subtle to be aaaaany kind of worries for anyone involved??????

or is this topic made with a bit of sarcasm? I mean first of all the samples are obscure and soooo low in the mix etc etc.

They also stated in many interviews around the TCH period that they didnt want to be a predictable easy group, and that hated that people were saying "oh boc are just a hip hop beat some analouge synths and a vocal sample of some children" they wanted to take another direction..now its harder for people to talk about how BOC sounds..its not about sample clearence at all.

Respect yeah, cash probably not. Seriously are Warp going to give BoC free reign on sample use if they have to foot the bill? Brw, does anybody on here know what kind of deal BoC have with Warp, like how many releases they have left until they are out of contract? I also wonder whether Warp see BoC as a viable future investment for the label what with all this sampling crap.

With respect to this comment above - BOC have become Warp's biggest selling artist, and I suspect you're joking around here. Their use of sampling is confined to the obvious Leslie Nielsen Sesame Street etc speech samples, not music, so it's not even an issue at all, and nothing compared to 99% of hip-hop producers' use of sampling.

Archived