IGNORED

Caustica Egypt (DnB)

Guest Vegeta897

Guest Vegeta897

Yeah... I started playing around in Reason with this scale that I've always liked, and before I knew it I had some shit that I thought was great so I continued. I added more layers of melody with male and female choirs, and then some percussion that was unique yet fit with the Egypt/desert theme I felt it had. After some of that I decided to put in some breaks. I feel a bit ashamed for using breaks but I do enjoy working with them and fucked around with 'em as I felt necessary.

And so what I'm ending up with is a track that I actually enjoy, hope some of you do too.

Caustica_Egypt.mp3

I feel a bit ashamed for using breaks

Why? Do you feel ashamed for using breaks in general, or for using the shitty ones that come with reason? If i were you I would feel ashamed for using so much preset shit and not worry too much about using breaks.

I am always confused at the hate people seem to have for presets. Yeah, they're cheesy, but that's sort of the point with using them.

Using the preset vocal synths didn't work so well with this track. I feel that this should either be rocorded using acoustic instruments (or the edirol orchestral, which manages to convince me at moments) or pure computer-sounds (this means no emulation of acoustic instruments). It's a pretty proper track, i just feel that some of the sounds don't really work together that well.

Guest Vegeta897
Using the preset vocal synths didn't work so well with this track. I feel that this should either be rocorded using acoustic instruments (or the edirol orchestral, which manages to convince me at moments) or pure computer-sounds (this means no emulation of acoustic instruments). It's a pretty proper track, i just feel that some of the sounds don't really work together that well.

I actually liked that they didn't sound realistic, it reminded me of Zelda OoT, and other retro shit like that.

As for the breaks, well this is like one of the first times I've ever used a loop like that, I'm so used to getting my own samples and building my own beats. When I first started browsing through the breaks I had (which by the way came from a DnB pack I got at ReasonStation) I was thinking "wow, all of these sound good..." so I kind of interpreted that as "breaks are way too easy of a solution" like I felt like I was cheating. That's why I tried to mess around with a bit in the track.

So yeah, it's just me not being used to using them, is that really what most DnB artists do?

Guest joshier

Really enjoyed that. You nailed down the professional and frequent variations to keep it exciting and active.

love the monk kind of vocals, i don't much like the actual break samples but i listened on my shitty laptop speakers.

thanks for uploading.

Guest geographyhorse

listening now...... its actually pretty good...... I can certainly tell your using presets. How often do you use samples??? I like the melodies, I wish they were on better sounding instruments. Nice tho'....

Guest Vegeta897
the melodies could be more elaborate.

What do you mean by elaborate? All of the melodies (except for the arp part) were recorded by me using this (yes, 16 rubber step keys) as a midi keyboard controller. Most of the fun in making this track was that keyboard playing I got to do, I enjoyed working in that scale. I think the rather simple melody is made up for the fact that there are three other melodic parts playing in the same bar.

The synths are really nothing special either, simple square or sine waves, because like I said I didn't intend to make a whole track when I chose them. Go ahead and call me lazy for not going back to change them, whatever, I grew accustomed to the sound :)

Geographyhorse: What do you mean by samples? You mean breaks? This is the first time I've ever used a loop without using the splices to construct my own beat. If you meant samples as in the monks and choir, I don't really know, it's not the first time. I haven't used Reason that much.

Guest tht! tne
the melodies could be more elaborate.

What do you mean by elaborate? All of the melodies (except for the arp part) were recorded by me using this (yes, 16 rubber step keys) as a midi keyboard controller. Most of the fun in making this track was that keyboard playing I got to do, I enjoyed working in that scale. I think the rather simple melody is made up for the fact that there are three other melodic parts playing in the same bar.

The synths are really nothing special either, simple square or sine waves, because like I said I didn't intend to make a whole track when I chose them. Go ahead and call me lazy for not going back to change them, whatever, I grew accustomed to the sound :)

dont have a cow man i just wanted more.

Archived