IGNORED

Using ableton in a live situation

Guest furrybum

Guest furrybum

Been playing round with ableton for a while now and have decided to actually take it to the stage. However, I'm not sure if there's a convenient way of using it to move seamlessly between tracks whilst still keeping all the track parts seperate. Am I just being dumb and missing something simple?

put a song in each track and play the track when needed. Mix with slider. Turn off warp and put effects and what not in send sections and use the send knobs in each track to direct effects when needed.

put a song in each track and play the track when needed. Mix with slider. Turn off warp and put effects and what not in send sections and use the send knobs in each track to direct effects when needed.

not answering the question.

if you want control over separate parts of songs and have multiple songs in a project for a set, the best way is to arrange the parts into scenes (the horizontal rows on session view, as opposed to the vertical bins - tracks). This way you can trigger various scenes, representing the various stages of your tracks, or even just individual or several clips. Just leave a few rows empty between your different 'songs' so you have separation. Admittedly, this still is a bit limiting in terms of not really being able to recreate your studio work, if the tracks are quite complex and have lots of programming, and timing critical automation. Theres no way round that other than to bounce your parts down into easy to use clips.

We're playing a live set soon with a drummer and guitarist, and ended up having to opt to use 2 laptops - and just work with whole projects files for each song. While one is playing, the other laptop can be prepared with a new project ready to come in when the first one finishes. Not ideal, but gives us full control and tweakery within each project.

I spoke to Abe about this issue - and there's no secret way to do this shit.

Guest Keef Baker

So in other words don't play live at all.

I have hundreds of scenes spread across 14 tracks. 9 tracks of rhythm, 4 tracks of melody/pads and 1 of bass.

I then improvise the set and tweak fx/filters and triggers on my midi controller. This is what I call "playing live".

Newsflash to the rest of the world: Djing your own tracks is NOT playing live.

So in other words don't play live at all.

I have hundreds of scenes spread across 14 tracks. 9 tracks of rhythm, 4 tracks of melody/pads and 1 of bass.

I then improvise the set and tweak fx/filters and triggers on my midi controller. This is what I call "playing live".

Newsflash to the rest of the world: Djing your own tracks is NOT playing live.

i dont think you quite understood what i was putting on the table. what ~ism said is more along the lines of where i was trying to get at. his post about using 2 computers would make the most sense for what you are trying to get at, or you can get Daedelus's magic box :beer:

Archived