IGNORED

meditation/"ambient" music

Guest cardan

Guest cardan

can it be focusing or just too distracting for you?

when i do, some albums i like are...

darkwater pond - circle of pines

moments of order - fractaled

heresy - lustmord (not so much other lustmord)

a forest without trees - samsa

( ) - sigur ros (sometimes)

dreamtime return - steve roach

any other types of music?

edit: whoops, forgot i was in ekt, requesting thread-move to g.b.? tia

Guest earlgrey

I've tried both silent and with music. With music I always have a good, but not especially sublime, time - but if it's silent it can go either way, either I get frustrated or _really_ high feeling. Actually, if I'm going without music, it's probably because I'm outside in nature or something, so that may certainly have something to do with it.

As to music I've had good experiences with:

Steve Roach - Structures From Silence

Brian Eno - Music For Airports, especially 1/1

Programmed selection of tracks from the first CD of the Kranky Kompilation and the first CD of SAW2 (of course). (Oh, and Stone in Focus)

The song "Reservoir" from Vibert/Simmonds' "Weirs" (very strange experience, I recommend trying it...)

I haven't meditated in a long while, but since then I've gotten into Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze and their '74-'75 era material would probably be excellent - albums like Timewind and Phaedra make me feel like I'm meditating even when I'm not. Kompakt's Pop Ambient series - esp. '05 - have amazing texture, but the tracks tend to be fairly short so it might not facilitate deep involvement in one piece. Oval's ~24 minute "Do While" could be interesting if you can relax to it.

Guest earlgrey

BTW, one of the advantages of meditating to music is that you can set an amount of time to meditate to, and stop when the music is over - without tunes, I often find myself opening my eyes to check the time on my clock and see how long it's been, which can be distracting.

music is a different sort of meditation than non-music. SAWII's more ambient tracks work for me as does Abstractology's stuff http://www.abstractology.com/

the weirdest meditation-like (not exactly the same but idk it reminded me) was trying to fall asleep while listening to venetian snares, ended up in this bizarre half-asleep mode. this results in increased closed-eye hallucinations (increased meaning i'm insane already and i already have them)

ive found Cubus's more recent stuff is great for solitary unwinding/meditation/whatever - especially the Late 5am Tired Eye LP.

Guest Jamic

Yes, i find it will never be real, deep meditation if ur listening to music. I think too many people still mix up meditation with relaxation. In saying that, i have been making meditation/relaxation music on the side for a few years now.

Guest obstreperousartist

I hardly ever listen to ambient music when working, but when relaxing I've really been digging some Bohren and der Club of Gore

Guest welcome to the machine

Ive only really tried to meditate a few times, relatively unsuccesfully so i cant comment on good/bad music, music being good/bad for it or anything like that, but I like to listen to stone in focus by aphex and stare at the ceiling sometimes. i wouldn't call it meditation but it definitely makes me feel good.

my version cuts out at 10 minutes though, which, even though its exactly the same all the way through I find incredibly annoying.

does anyone know what that track is off so i can get the full version?

its nice to put on when you go to bed and then get gently coaxed out of sleep by it in the morning.

o

Guest welcome to the machine
Ive only really tried to meditate a few times, relatively unsuccesfully so i cant comment on good/bad music, music being good/bad for it or anything like that, but I like to listen to stone in focus by aphex and stare at the ceiling sometimes. i wouldn't call it meditation but it definitely makes me feel good.

my version cuts out a 12 minutes though, which, even though its exactly the same all the way through I find incredibly annoying.

i don't think it even is 12 minutes? it's just over 10 minutes long... at least the version on excursions in ambience.

yeah sorry, i just checked and mine stops at 9.30 or something, cool, i'll look at buying excursions in ambience!

Guest earlgrey
yeah sorry, i just checked and mine stops at 9.30 or something, cool, i'll look at buying excursions in ambience!

It's the third in the series: "Excursions in Ambience: The Third Dimension". It has other great tracks too, e.g. by Spacetime Continuum and Seefeel.

Archived