IGNORED

Keyboard Controllers & Synths!

Guest Drahken

Guest Drahken

I'm looking to get a new keyboard controller and I'd like some advice from anyone who has some! Looking to spend no more than $400-500 and it doesn't need to be full length. A 61 key model is probably too much as I already have a old school Clavinova I use for midi and its full size. Something around 49 key or smaller would be great, 25 key is probably too small.

I've been looking at the AKAI MPK49 because it looks like a pretty solid keyboard with some nice controllers to boot and everyone I've met who's owned a MPC has loved the shit out of it. Should I be wary of some of the more inexpensive brands like M-Audio? They have a KeyRig 49 key for under a $100 that looks alright but I don't know much about how their keyboards feel. My current MIDI keyboard is ancient (A Yamaha Clavinova circa '89) but its never given me any trouble and is fantastic in terms of response and feel, its just not portable enough for me.

I'm also debating getting a mid-range synth like a SH-201 but I'll probably hold on those till I can demo some in person when I come to Dallas in the spring, but any suggestions would be appreciated so I know what to look for.

Happy New Years!

Guest Halfmanhalfrobot

the akai is a great little controller.

i had an sh-201 and whilst its fun its not really that good. it got sold in 4 months after i realised it wasn't that good....

if you are in the uk i can sell you a nord lead 2x for £375 as i've replaced it with a virus ti polar.... the nord is a far better keyboard than the sh-201 and is also an excellent controller keyboard.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dogboy73

Another vote for the Akai MPK 49. Looks sweet that. I think I'm going to buy one, as soon as I can afford it & use it to replace my Axiom 25 & UC-16 - Both good controllers but the Akai MPK can everything they can & then some! The Axiom pads a really good but the AKai apparently has the type of pads as the MPC's & they're the best around. 4 octaves as well (Axiom 25 obviously only has 2) & a few other useful features. £249? I'll take one please guvnor ;-)

Archived