IGNORED

prawo jazdy

kaini

Prawo Jazdy: mystery motorist who bamboozled Irish traffic police

The identity of one of Europe’s most notorious drivers, who racked up dozens of speeding and parking offences in a crime spree across Ireland while continuing to elude the courts, has been uncovered by police - with the help of a dictionary.

Prawo Jazdy, presumed to be one of the hundreds of thousands of Poles lured to Ireland during its economic boom, was the Scarlet Pimpernel of motoring, leaving a trail of multiple identities and vehicles across the data base of the Republic’s Garda Siochana.

With not a single conviction by 2007 and more than fifty offences recorded, the police decided to take a closer look at Mr Jazdy, according to the Irish Times and Irish Independent.

The result was unexpected and embarrassing: in a letter that is now doing the rounds of Garda e-mail inboxes, a traffic division official wrote that it had come to his attention that officers inspecting Polish driving licences were recording Prawo Jazdy as the licence holder’s name. “Prawo Jazdy is actually Polish for 'driving licence' and not the first and surname on the licence,” he wrote.

“Having noticed this I decided to check on Pulse (the criminal data base) and see how many members have made this mistake. It is quite embarrassing to see that the system has created Prawo Jazdy as a person with over 50 identities.

“He can also be found on the Fixed Charge Processing System as well. This mistake needs to be rectified immediately and a memo sent to the members concerned. I also think that Garda Information Service Centre [in] Castlebar should be notified and some kind of alert put on these two words.”

lol, irish cops are stupid

there are lots and lots of poles living here for ages now

which i like, ten years ago i couldn't walk through town on a saturday and hear six languages, i'd just hear english 99% of the time

but there are no polish cops?

also, regarding your point, poland is a member of the eu

i'm pretty sure the layout of a license is standardised across the whole eu, so the name would be in the same place on a polish license as an irish one

and these guys spend all day looking at irish licenses...

you are right .. but the numbers mentioned .. suggest every time a newbie cop comes across it ... or it points to the percentage of inevitably inept cops out there .. i'd say most would know ...

but it's like with cab drivers ... when one of them dangerously cuts you off without indicating every now and again .. then after a while the whole lot get tarred by the same mental brush ...

heh ... don't get too frustrated by my comments .. i'm not having a dig .. just pointing out the obvious for something to do ...

it will get better, i'm sure

the uk, which is now onto second and third-generation descendents of immigrants (if we have this here, they're nearly all still kids) has a proportion of pakistani and whatever cops, based on my viewing of tv.

Archived