IGNORED

A Question for you Europeans

thehauntingsoul

Border crossings

How do drivers change sides when they cross a border?

There are no longer very many countries which share land borders and drive on opposite sides of the road. However, it's not as great a puzzle as it seems, because you normally have to stop anyway for customs and immigration clearance. Generally speaking, you drive into the customs area, park your vehicle for inspection, and then when you leave via the other side of the parking area, you simply make sure you are on the correct side of the road.

From here: http://www.brianlucas.ca/roadside/

Interesting that Hong Kong should drive on the left but China on the right. Very interesting.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here by interesting. In so far as they haven't changed it to the Right hand side since 1997?

This is possibly because of the cost and confusion it may cause to change everything round.

They drive on the left as it is a legacy issue from the British Colonial days.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest analogue wings

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10595909

Confusion, excitement – Samoan drivers switch sides

8:46AM Tuesday Sep 08, 2009

By Cherelle Jackson

08samoa-switch.jpg

The first cars switch over at exactly 6am. Photo / Cherelle Jackson

Video

Cherelle Jackson writes from Apia on the first morning of the switch from driving on the right to driving on the left in samoa.

APIA - This morning at 5.30am I drove out of my house on the right hand side of the road, and returned on the left hand side, in the same country, in the same car, and it was not a drill.

Scared but excited, I joined other drivers in driving on what just a few minutes before, was the wrong side of the road.

Police Officers, road workers, Government workers and Red Cross Volunteers were stationed at every intersection and every corner of the road, directing traffic, anticipating possible disarray.

As I drove into town today, I was not alone, hundreds of other vehicles followed suit, accompanied by hundreds of pedestrians spilling onto the streets to witness an occasion that only we could experience at this period in the history of our country.

At exactly 6am on the 7th of September, the Prime Minister, Hon. Tuilaepa Sailele Lupesoliai Malielegaoi went live on national radio and television, to declare Samoa now drives on the left.

"After this announcement you will all be permitted to move to the other side of the road, to begin this new era in our history," he said.

Tuilaepa was speaking during a government ceremony this morning to officially launch the new road rules.

A handful of officials were part of the ceremony in the Fire Station in Apia, but most people were on the streets walking and waiting by the road, laughing and giggling at the drivers brave enough to be on the road at the time of the switch.

The radio of most vehicles blasted the live broadcast of the ceremony, dictating what they should do.

But before he announced the launching, Tuilaepa scolded the nation first.

"There are some of you who ruined the signs, this is not good. Look, you know what makes sense, do not drive if you are 15 or 16, only those over 21 should drive, and don't drive if you are sleepy, drunk or just had a fight with your wife," he said.

In his usual condescending tone, Tuilaepa tried good humour but missed the mark, and scolded those who were driving instead.

"Great, this is just what we need, I just want to switch already," said Tolovaefa Fasia whose 2003 Toyata was on the road waiting for the Prime Minister to finish his speech.

After all the anticipation, public protests and unreasonable Government excuses throughout the last two years, the moment finally arrived when all Samoans had to adhere to the new road rules.

And despite the protests, and the undercurrents of great fear, the switch went extraordinarily smoothly.

But then again half the cars that were on the road were Government vehicles, including the entire emergency vehicle fleet, fire trucks, ambulance and police vehicles.

And at 6am they all blasted their sirens and slowly moved to the other side of the road.

There was a small commotion at the main roundabout in Apia around the town clock, as one car sped through and failed to look to the right, but that was quickly controlled by the 20 officers who were already stationed around the clock.

"Now we wait, we are now all confident, but if we keep looking to the left, then well, we don't know until then," said Petra Faaiuina, a pedestrian at the town clock.

Only time will tell if this switch has truly been a smooth transition.

What we need now, more than good road signs and a smooth ride, are rich relatives in New Zealand willing to send us a right-hand drive or two, to replace our now worthless left-hand drive vehicles.

Guest abusivegeorge

Wow Samoa sounds really important all of a sudden, also:

"There are some of you who ruined the signs, this is not good. Look, you know what makes sense, do not drive if you are 15 or 16, only those over 21 should drive, and don't drive if you are sleepy, drunk or just had a fight with your wife," he said.

Fucking lol.

Guest ezkerraldean

Wow Samoa sounds really important all of a sudden, also:

Fucking lol.

might be jazz, but why the hell are they changing it? its not like they have any borders with countries that drive the other way and stuff lol

Guest my usernames always really suck

what countries besides england drive on the left side?

I'll answer my own question:

India

They drive on whatever side they feel like driving on that day.

Guest analogue wings

might be jazz, but why the hell are they changing it? its not like they have any borders with countries that drive the other way and stuff lol

I know part of it has to do with Samoans working in New Zealand wanting to send cars to their families back home. With Samoa being the only LHD country in Polynesia, it was cost prohibutive to buy a RHD car in New Zealand and convert it

Archived