IGNORED

Is it possible/legal to...

Guest Helper ET

Guest abusivegeorge

find the location, through ip address or other means, of a poster on any message board?

that is all.

Yes it most definetly is, I have a friend who's done this. He's a class A hacker though. He once accessed the entire personal info of a friends Father who is manager of Lloys TSB bank in central London, he had all the information he needed displayed in front of him. There are things he has done and does that he should be in jail for. Can't you go to jail for simply just owning the equiupment?

Guest abusivegeorge

Actually I mgiht be missing the point here, I think he needs more than the IP address to find out where someone lives, so no maybe it cannot be done, but he gains access to other informtation through the IP address and then he takes it from there.

Getting a home address requires access to the ISP's database. Most ISP tech support staff have access to this, but activity is logged. You could also use IP geolocation to get a rough idea. Or, if the IP is static, you could cross-reference it with other customer databases you might have access to. Generally, the IP address is the last thing I'd start with, if I was trying to find someone's home address. There are much easier ways to do it, in most cases.

Guest Helper ET

The fact of the matter than unless a messageboard has exposed everyone's IP to be viewable, it's not getting written to the page at the time you view the page, based on your permissions. So, in short, unless the forum in question has everyone's IP exposed, you'll never find out.

Add to that a lot of people post from proxies (corporate or otherwise) these days, finding *exactly* where they are is nigh impossible.

Getting a home address requires access to the ISP's database. Most ISP tech support staff have access to this, but activity is logged. You could also use IP geolocation to get a rough idea. Or, if the IP is static, you could cross-reference it with other customer databases you might have access to. Generally, the IP address is the last thing I'd start with, if I was trying to find someone's home address. There are much easier ways to do it, in most cases.

sorry to bump the thread, its just that you two sound like you know how to help me, but remember im not interested in narrowing down anyones home address, im simply interested in finding the city, nothing more. im not a creepy stalker freak pedophile serial killer rapist, i swear

i appreciate the help :sorcerer:

The fact of the matter than unless a messageboard has exposed everyone's IP to be viewable, it's not getting written to the page at the time you view the page, based on your permissions. So, in short, unless the forum in question has everyone's IP exposed, you'll never find out.

Add to that a lot of people post from proxies (corporate or otherwise) these days, finding *exactly* where they are is nigh impossible.

sorry to bump the thread, its just that you two sound like you know how to help me, but remember im not interested in narrowing down anyones home address, im simply interested in finding the city, nothing more. im not a creepy stalker freak pedophile serial killer rapist, i swear

Why not just ask the person, then?

Archived