IGNORED

politically correct white people

Guest zaphod

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe i just dont have enough scientific knowledge of race vs ethnicity to know what i'm talking about.

But it seems to me, when you apply to a college and it asks you for an "ethnicity", theyre not asking anything about your cultural background, but merely your genetic background, ie, you cant be "native american" without being some bullshit fraction of native american "race" (genetic blood relation). Now this hardly is how everyone thinks, but i'm just a little confused at what defines ethnicity and what defines race.

You can grow up in England but choose to act african because you might have african genetics and most would consider them ethnically african because of black skin and "behavior" despite being several generations english.

Can you choose to be an ethnicity? Can i choose to be french depsite never living in france and having just a little french blood? "Culturally" i am more american than anything else because my ancestors have lived here for hundreds of years, but they all came over from europe and are genetically european.

ethnicity is not politically correct, it is scientifically correct, or is at least the scientific standard today. Check out some books or articles on the current debates about ethnicity.

So ethnicity can be scientifically proven and is genetic? didnt you just say

Ethnicity has less to do with genetics than sharing a common heritage or attachment, such as where they were born, where their family was, what political system or social systems they had participated in over a long period of time, etc.

Political/social systems arent very "scientific"

SR4's definition of ethnicity is pretty accurate, it has little to nothing to do with genetics. The problem is that the term ethnicity has become a broadly accepted politically correct euphemism for race in America so it perpetuates racialized thinking but in an innocuous form.

Archived