IGNORED

My freezer defrosted and refroze

Guest Coalbucket PI

Guest Coalbucket PI

'They' always tell you very specifically not to defrost and refreeze stuff. But here's the thing. I went to the freezer a few days ago for some midnight crumpets and found everything in there to be a little soft and squishy. I muttered 'fuck' and went about my crumpet business, toasting and buttering them meticulously before eating them in tiny delicate ladylike bites. That aside, the next morning I had forgotten about the freezer and didn't think to tell anyone else who uses it that all their food is probably spoiled. By the evening when I remembered, I figured people had already eaten stuff out of there and they are probably better off not knowing that their gastric systems might be chock full of shart bacteria, so I just didn't mention it.

Now it's come to the point where I realise I have some nice looking hash browns and Bird's Eye chicken thingies that I want to eat. I just put them in the oven moments ago.

What I wonder is how many times might the freezer have fucked up and let everything thaw and then refroze it without me knowing? If I hadn't eaten those delicious midnight crumpets I wouldn't have known anything was awry and would have eaten the freezer food with impunity. This boils down to the 'tree falling in the woods but nobody is there to hear it' conundrum, except instead of hearing it to know that it happened, I will eat it and then violently vomit and defecate. Or not. Hmm.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I've found a website which suggests meat that has been defrosted in the fridge rather than at room temperature is okay to refreeze. I don't actually know what could be so dangerous about it but it feels a little bit thrilling to break this taboo.

Archived