IGNORED

incomplete similes in hip-hop lyrics

Guest tht tne

Guest tht tne

e.e. cummins and T. S. Elliot pretty much suck.

you have a habit of stating your opinion as if it's fact

inspect 1:41-1:47... "fill her up... balloons!" and "like a parade... macy's"

nicki minaj does it too at 2:28 when she says "dunkin' on 'em, lisa leslie"

i don't know what to call this phenomenon other than incomplete similes

He then completes the simile of "guns get drawn like cartoons" at 1:48. WTF?

Guest thepilot

Who could have imagined the hip hop community modifying or somehow altering the language and/or its structure when it has heretofore been such a strict adherent to the rules governing its use?

But seriously I think this does show the overwhelming willingness of most popular hip hop artists to commandeer another artist's style. The autotune epidemic is another glaring example. Urban radio playlists are just like rock radio wherein you can't tell one artist from the other. We are all aware of the fact that popular music is a product manufactured like any other (toilet seats, dental dams etc.); designed for mass consumption and with the end result of making its producers a shitload of money. That being said, I would much rather listen to some rapper's faux braggadocio than some emo/rocker whinging about lost love or life's pain. I apologize for this post being so erratic as I've just arisen from slumber.

Archived