IGNORED

Surviving 10-Hour Shift

Boxing Day

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I recently was on a 2 week business trip in a lab setting for 12 to 18 hrs per day, 7 days a week. They had water, vitamin c tablets, and 5 hour energy available onsite, and had catered meals.

But if that was my shift for the rest of my life I'd fucking quit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

i guess all i can say in that case is good luck—can't imagine how operating live gfx goes. wouldn't a lot of it be template-based lower thirds and whatnot anyway though? at least you aren't making everything from scratch, unless you are. in which case, see beginning of my post

It's largely templated, but I'm sure there are situations that call for fresh builds. I'm a little dazed by it still at the moment because I've never worked in this field before, but I'm sure I can pick it up. I'm guessing you do something similar?

Yeah, I do broadcast design and animation, though "broadcast" is pretty broad—spills out onto web campaigns, video games and corporate videos too. I don't have anything to do with the whole going-live-to-air process though. What kind of software do you use? Does it allow you to add in barely-visible photos of penises?

It's an asinine and antiquated Aston system. Essentially like using DOS. I'd kill for a bit of point-and-click.

Going live is rather intimidating at the moment. I'm going to get thrown into it by myself pretty soon, probably tomorrow.

Guest 277: 930-933

Meh.

Come back when you've had your first 48 hours of almost constant stress in a row of 7+ days trying to make a deadline.

Then we'll talk.

Guest Gary C

Oh, btw.

So I've just had my first full week of this Graphics Operator role. Another week of 6.30am starts and then the shifts will spread out a little bit and it should become less punishing. I've been so tired every evening, falling asleep by 10pm, and just managing to eat outside of work.

But anyway, when I had a few minutes this week I checked the company website and found that they're looking for a Web Copywriter. Something much more related to my degree and personal aspirations. I took a degree in Journalism and Media Writing, not Graphics.

So I've just applied for it, but I do feel a little weird about it. Doesn't it sound a little weird to have only been working at a company a week and then apply for something else within the same company?

I'm technically on a probation period so they could still get rid of me by the end of this week, but it seems like the department I'm in need all the help they can get*.

I'm not really too bothered about applying for it, it's a job better suited to my degree and direction and I would have applied for it whether it was somewhere else anyway. It's actually kind of good that it's in the same company really, because I can say I already have some experience with their business functions.

I just hope it doesn't filter back to my new boss and colleagues because it may not be construed favourably.

Any ideas or advice? I wanted to tell my boss about it before I applied, but I could still not even get a reply and would've caused unnecessary aggro.

*For the time being anyway, because I've heard rumours that they're getting rid of one of their two TV channels and would surely be looking to cut operations throughout the company.

Guest Ricky Downtown

Ginkgo Biloba

It's definitely the least fun thing to do out of all the options presented in this thread but it works. I got me through this DIY tour i did with some friends 2 summers ago where we'd essentially play all night long, sleep for 3 hours a night in less than glamorous conditions and spend all daylight hours doing the transits in less than glamorous ways. This going on for 10 days. But i did Gingko Biloba incessantly and was fine energy-wise all throughout.

I was, however, stoned the entire time, so who knows.

wait up, i've got some of this downstairs, but i was told to use it for my tinnitus. it didn't work. how did you use it?

Archived