IGNORED

Surviving 10-Hour Shift

Boxing Day

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

I'm fucking knackered, and I only did 6 hours today... :facepalm:

I've been jobless for almost two months, and before that was working in a pub and only had two starts before midday, so I've been well out of the loop.

I'll get into the swing of it though, and will definitely be taking a large bottle of water with me. Cycling the 5 miles to work is guaranteed to wake me up, but the 5 back will be a killer.

Guest Ominous

Are you allowed to listen to music? try cramming your ipod with all kinds of upbeat music; mixes would be even better. Welcome to the club.

Also, aren't you into conspiracy stuff? Why the hell would you be supporting the CIA's black budget/Wall Street Ponzi money by consuming cocaine? Plus all the ugly stuff used to cut it down, no wonder you stay sick! :wacko:

It's annoying isn't it.. having your life stripped away from you whilst working in a mundane job position - it's a systemic problem

Why the hell would you be supporting the CIA's black budget/Wall Street Ponzi money by consuming cocaine?

well said

CIA = Cocaine Import Agency

I worked a summer at Six Flags as a roller coaster operator and the shifts were 10 hrs, sometimes 12. I recommend lots of water, anything with vitamins, protein, and caffiene only at strategic times, i.e. for the last 3-4 hours of your shift.

i guess all i can say in that case is good luck—can't imagine how operating live gfx goes. wouldn't a lot of it be template-based lower thirds and whatnot anyway though? at least you aren't making everything from scratch, unless you are. in which case, see beginning of my post

It's largely templated, but I'm sure there are situations that call for fresh builds. I'm a little dazed by it still at the moment because I've never worked in this field before, but I'm sure I can pick it up. I'm guessing you do something similar?

Yeah, I do broadcast design and animation, though "broadcast" is pretty broad—spills out onto web campaigns, video games and corporate videos too. I don't have anything to do with the whole going-live-to-air process though. What kind of software do you use? Does it allow you to add in barely-visible photos of penises?

I work in a bar, my shifts are usually 6-3 (then an hours restock and clean up)

I reccommend finding a good time to eat something at your break (I get hungry later during the shift so that slows me right down whereas if I've eaten it doesn't)

you'll get used to the sleep pattern and the workload soon enough.

Good luck! :D

PS: I wouldn't recommend the drugs route.... and try to limit your caffeine/energy whatever intake as you become more dependent on them if it becomes regular habit. I think I've developed a coffee thing at my work, its a lot harder if I skip on the coffee now.... although I only have two or three cigs total! so all in all it could be worse.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

just get stoned. when the final year of school started to drag out and I found myself losing interest in class, I often found going to school after a joint would help (which was really surprising). Usually in class I'd be falling asleep or something but if I was baked I'd be like "fuck yeah I'm learning heaps of cool shit :emotawesomepm9: ".

i really wish i'd heard this when i was about 16. wasted youth.

Guest Lube Saibot

Ginkgo Biloba

It's definitely the least fun thing to do out of all the options presented in this thread but it works. I got me through this DIY tour i did with some friends 2 summers ago where we'd essentially play all night long, sleep for 3 hours a night in less than glamorous conditions and spend all daylight hours doing the transits in less than glamorous ways. This going on for 10 days. But i did Gingko Biloba incessantly and was fine energy-wise all throughout.

I was, however, stoned the entire time, so who knows.

just get stoned. when the final year of school started to drag out and I found myself losing interest in class, I often found going to school after a joint would help (which was really surprising). Usually in class I'd be falling asleep or something but if I was baked I'd be like "fuck yeah I'm learning heaps of cool shit :emotawesomepm9: ". undoubtedly this really depends on what kinda stoner you are, but I can imagine that positive attitude would translate over to your work....unless you have to do things that you couldn't do when you were stoned obviously.

obviously you shouldn't be high actually doing the work you do—technical, tight deadlines. as crazy as it sounds, if you do have free time, try and brush up on whatever technical skillset/program(s) you need for the job—the tight deadlines won't be as big a concern if you understand the work you've got to do more immediately. again, no idea how much experience you have with this kind of stuff.

Archived