IGNORED

max/msp or reaktor

Guest bowen

Guest bowen

intrested in opinions of those who have used both.

i've been learning max for 3 years

i know reaktor is probably far simpler as objects are pre-assembled at a higher level

but i'd be interested in peoples thoughts.

reaktor sucks is teh suck, synthedit is better

max/msp, don't know, I'm learning puredata though which is very similiar (some max/msp patches can even be loaded into pd), and so far, it's much more powerful than synthedit, more difficult though.

Guest grasshoppa

reaktor because its creamy

very creamy

max is creamyish but not as...

but perhaps when reaktors fun has ended..... naaaaaa

I've used Reaktor for 2 years with a detour into Max for a couple of months.

Max is a much richer programming environment - I wish NI would incorporate some kind of written scripting language. Reaktor's more like circuit design than programming. Though you can do some very sophisticated things once you understand its quirks - generative music thingies, weird unique sequencers, and like that. learning Max helped a lot, as the Reaktor documentation is tutorial-starved.

Reaktor has vastly superior sound quality, to my ears - Max/MSP has always been good at scratchy scrabbly glitchy things, which Reaktor can do too, but it can also create rich analog-ish tones and shimmering pads. It excels at granular synthesis too. I hate the sound of the basic MSP sawtooth oscillators.

Something that's fun is routing midi from Max to Reaktor through a utility like midi yoke, so you have the best of both worlds.

That should read:

Max/MSP has always been good at scratchy scrabbly glitchy things, which Reaktor can do too, but Reaktor can also create rich analog-ish tones and shimmering pads. It excels at granular synthesis too. I hate the sound of the basic MSP sawtooth oscillators.

Guest Iain C

Downloaded the trial of Max the other day to try and load these autechre patches everyone's going on about.

Couldn't even get the midi setup, the option is just greyed out, and the patches wouldn't work either.

I fucking hate maths anyway.

Guest robotanalysis

After taking a class in Max/MSP my senior year in college I was hooked. Mainly I use Max to manipulate and generate MIDI data, and I'm working on building things to help control the equipment I have (Monomachine, MIDINes, etc).

One thing that's infinitely more intuitive in Reaktor is Granular Synthesis, though. Some of the preset granular ensembles were a blast to play with.

Guest test pattern

i like the reaktor.....max/msp was counterintuitive kinda like i feel about logic.....both programs got a lot to offer its just way too much of a task to get there.....with reaktor i can create new programs as soon as i get an idea......its just a matter understanding all the different modules.....with max/msp you have to understand max/msp and all the modules.....its like a completely separate language.....reaktor at least has a lot incommon with modular synthesis....

i've taken two semesters of max msp and have made my own shit

i've used reaktor for about the same time frame....

i like reaktor best for 2 reasons... the community 9and all there thousands of downloadable ensambles) and being vst friendlier... like max msp pluggo is fine but takes 2 hours to load and is inconvient having to use different opcodes for pluggo shit

my 2 cents

Archived