IGNORED

why are all those stabbings/rampages of murder happening in china

vamos scorcho

Guest bunty

But most are the murders here are racist or secretarial. Polished people or catholic/protestant in the north.

Okay, I reckon I'm onto something here. I would be very surprised if there wasn't some kind of a link between Polished people being killed in Ireland and the Shinies people being killed in the Orient.

Guest we_kill_soapscum

i don't think you can call post-mao china puritanical, there were never puritans there

Guest joshier

Could you imagine what the world would be like if everyone had sensors - so if one say, stabbed another, the person stabbing would feel instant pain? Or some kind of emotional response..

Guest ruiagnelo

It's getting worse every day. But murdering children is far worse than everything else.

the implications of people going into schools and stabbing children to death...mass murder style ... that implies some serious problems need to be taken care of or it's going to get a lot worse.

I've lived here for 4 years and feel freer than the US, though that's changing as China continues to imitate the West in an effort to "fit in" and make even more money.

Pretty much this. Same thing happening in Seoul. Of course, as expats we get a different POV.

Anyhow, twiddelbot: important to remember that government does not equal society.

Absolutely no argument there...

I kind of wonder if some of the political trends we are seeing in Western countries continue, at some point in the future if China won't be one of the freer countries.

I don't think so, unfortunately. Here's my take on it. Probably from the late 90's to 2006, when I first came here, was a special period where some of the more positive cultural elements from China's past were in balance with the new excitement about having the freedom to make money. What I mean about positive elements from China's past is that I think on the whole Chinese were an "earthy" sort of people, you'd see couples walking around in their pajamas in broad daylight, elderly people doing their exercises in the morning, people singing, dancing, and gambling in public parks, guys chilling on street corners in folding chairs, people letting their kids piss anywhere, and of course people spitting anywhere. Of course to some people these are embarrassing/not good things so who cares, but for me it was really refreshing to be around the lack of pretense and self-consciousness. It reminded me a bit of the sort of "chillin'" attitude you can find in the black community in the US.

As far as the capitalism went, there was definitely a frenzy to make money - as one of my friends returning to China after 6 years in the US said, "everyone's gone crazy!" - and this was disturbing at times. But at least everyone still felt they could "get a piece of the action". It was the Chinese version of the American dream.

But then the uber wealthy started to separate from the pack. Check this out:

In 2003, China had no billionaires

by March 2007, China had 20 billionaires

By November 2007, 66-100, depending on who you believe

2008: 130, and the numbers keep rising.

As the gap widens, of course, people start to get bitter and cynical just as they have in the west. There's no property tax here, no estate tax, nothing to slow down the rich from getting richer and richer.

At the same time, the govt has been figuring out new ways to make money. This year parking tickets started making their first appearances. You can no longer drive around a gas-powered scooter. So it's starting to feel a lot like the US.

China will be a big player on the world stage but I don't think there's any chance of them becoming a beacon of liberty. The govt will get more strict as your average joe gets more restless.

Guest vodor

It's getting worse every day. But murdering children is far worse than everything else.

i dunno, i think murdering adults is worse. adults have put so much more time into the living thing. it's a bigger waste. also, adults have a better sense of just how shitty it is to be utterly defeated and ended by some piece of shit loser for no good reason.

Guest vodor

but what if one of those kids grew up to be some kind of jesus-like figure capable of stopping sick fucks like that existing?

what if seeing classmates being butchered shaped another kid to grow up and be that jesus-like figure?

what if one of the murdered kids grew up and then murdered the kid who would've become the jesus-like figure?

Guest ruiagnelo
adults have put so much more time into the living thing.

That's precisely why murdering adults it's not as worse as children. They are the ones who are becoming the future adults. We should preserve them in the first place.

Archived