IGNORED

Car audio - Recommend me some high-end speakers

Guest joshier

Guest joshier

I've heard Infinities are good but I really don't know where to start.

Should I get component speakers with a pre-matched amp for better quality? I'm going for quality over loudness. Also, how many speakers? What kind of CD stereo unit (panasonic/JVC,Pioneer.. etc)

Cheers.

Guest Mirezzi

I just delved into all this stuff recently and went with a complete set of Focal speakers/sub and a Pioneer deck. I'm exceedingly happy with it.

I'll pull exact model numbers later. My speakers are coaxial. They were around $180 a pair. The sub was a single 13.5" and was...hmm, $400?

The decks are cheap these days. Mine does everything I need it to (aux input, iPod control, etc.) and it was less than $200.

Guest joshier

That's cool, I've heard focal are on par (at least) with infinities.

Also, it does look like pioneer are one of the top brands for reliable and decently built cd stereos.

I'm contemplating getting a 5.1 supported cd stereo as I'd love to have the option of listening to music in that.

My car already has 4 speakers so it's not far to go from 4.1 to 5.1. I may even just ignore the middle speaker at the front if I can. Don't know if it's worth it though

Guest abusivegeorge

Like I said in my PM, I get Bose systems installed. but this costs 4 figures. Either that or buy a Mercedes where it's installed as standard.

I know I'm not being realistic for you here but I don't use any other. But yeah, infinity are good., definetly.

JBL aren't too shabby either.

Guest joshier

Four figures? In my opinion, when you get to that level surely you're paying more for the loudness over quality?

i don't know much about car audio, but i know a lot about studio audio.

i have a question, genuinely.

what's the point in putting a super high end stereo system in a 7 foot cubed metal and glass box?

Guest Deep Fried Everything

what's the point in putting a super high end stereo system in a 7 foot cubed metal and glass box?

the only sensible answer i've ever been able to come to about this exact question has been "(i, the purchaser) spend altogether too much time in my car"

not judging, just saying, that's the only justification i could ever make towards hi-end car audio.

Guest joshier

Most of a cars interior is either padded (seats, head rests..) or its carpeted with typically lots of sound insulation in the doors. I don't see this as such a bad environment judging on the cars shape and speaker steup. note that some stereos have acoustic positioning so you have presets for the amount of people in the cars at the same time, not to mention saved-presets for centred stereo sound image.

yeah, but you've got exactly the right dimensions to create nasty standing bass waves etc. i get that there's bass traps and insulation, but the size of the space alone would dictate that it's almost impossible to get a decent sound. (in my experience)

i'm presuming there's some fancy sound fuckery that compensates for the poor environment.

just curious is all.

yeah, but you've got exactly the right dimensions to create nasty standing bass waves etc. i get that there's bass traps and insulation, but the size of the space alone would dictate that it's almost impossible to get a decent sound. (in my experience)

i'm presuming there's some fancy sound fuckery that compensates for the poor environment.

just curious is all.

making the best out of a bad situation i guess

i've had infinities in the past and loved them.

Guest joshier

just curious is all.

There's a box with a microphone that comes with some high-end audio equipment, it monitors the distorted sound and adjusts the levels on the stereo for a better mix.

Guest ms-dos

Tipper is often mentioned as owning one of the loudest cars in the world: With Rich Warren, Tipper owns Fuel Records, a breakbeat label and "fully operational racing team".[2] The cars in question are two Dodge Chargers (one of them pictured on the front cover of The Critical Path), with hydraulically riseable speakers that come out from the trunk. The cars also feature no head-unit, they simply function as left and right channels for a PA system. The cars are so loud that in the 1997 V Festival, Warren received complaints from The Prodigy's stage manager, because the band couldn't hear itself due to the excess volume.[3]

ok, humour me because i'm genuinely ignorant regarding all things automotive and related.

how does it compensate for phase cancellation/reinforcement at the bass end?

Guest Coalbucket PI

ok, humour me because i'm genuinely ignorant regarding all things automotive and related.

how does it compensate for phase cancellation/reinforcement at the bass end?

You make perfect sense, and furthermore to the shitness of the car as a listening environment there is a massive loud engine right in front of you and probably a bunch more all around you. And also the speakers are never focused on you like they would be in a studio. However listening to music while driving is just really really great and it somehow sounds fine.

Guest joshier

For my car, you can barely hear the engine so that's not a problem.

as for the direction - you can buy speakers that have rotatable domes/tweeters so they point up at you

Guest Coalbucket PI

Are you going to get a high end system for your underground base in the garden?

Guest joshier

I've already started the planning permission stage. I mentioned it to my mother in the garden and she thought it was a joke but then I stared at her to let her know I'm serious. From then on she was quite uneasy with me studying the foundation grounds of her flower bed for earth consistency - this is so I know what thickness walls I will need.

ok .... umm... well thanks for the enlightening comments.

so there's a self correctiing mic feed and ... um.. you can point your speakers at you.

em... ok good.

*shakes hands awkwardly*

*wanders off*

*thinks about physics*

*shakes head*

*opens secret compartment in leg*

*pops a wheelie*

Guest abusivegeorge

Four figures? In my opinion, when you get to that level surely you're paying more for the loudness over quality?

No, completely the opposite, in fact.

I also listened to a lot of speaker cd's, not just music.

You can sep up a professional car sound system to suit the car in exactly the same way you can to suit a home, you just have to get in touch with people who know what the fcuk they doing and wwhat the fuck they are fitting. Not a bunch of chavs with some 6x9's in the parcek shelf and two fucking subwoofers for the boot.

But as mentioned this costs mega bucks.

Guest pulsewarrior

My setup has always been Polk Momo and Xtant. Polk amp powering front components and rear 6x9s, and Xtant amp powering 2x10" Xtant subs in sealed enclosure.

Xtant make high quality and very desirable products.

http://xtant.com/

Pricey but you can find older model equipment on ebay at good cost.

and Alpine of course for the head unit.

Archived