IGNORED

To those living in London

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

So, i am doing a work on John Nash's architectural course and i chose several projects to describe and present my point of view on him. Right now i am writing about Regent's Park, from which i already know the story, but i am still trying to understand how Nash's masterplan influenced the urban circulation and the connection between key places of the city.

Even tho it's a personal view, i thought that i could complement my ideas with some info based on true experience. I have been in London already but only had the chance to walk on Cumberland terrace, Park Crescent and Trafalgar Square. I don't remember of even crossing Regent's Street. So my experience of moving in Nash's designed spaces and feeling his urban organization are quite limited.

Here's what i think:

Being fairly far from Westminster and Whitehall, which i dare to say were the central london - considering this specific time in the XIX century - Regent's Park obviously needed a connection to these places, so it was decided to create a route starting from Portland Place and ending in Picadilly Circus. This would establish the desired connection, altough i think some buildings had to be demolished, observing by the curves on Regent's Street, which don't seem to be according to the typical london street at that time. I don't really know what was the role of the Trafalgar Square, which was also born with Nash's masterplan, as i don't have enough info on how that place was occupied before the plan, but at least today i can imagine how it's inexistence would affect the city.

As i said, i want to complement my commentary on Nash's plan, so i would like you to tell me, from your city experience and deeper knowledge of it's history than i have, how do you think this organization changed the urban life of London and how that its felt today.

Detail is always important to me and maybe there's still something unclear.

All the feedback is truly appreciated.

No idea what you're on about mate. Want a chip?

Ditto, us Londoners are clearly full of brains! I have been to London Zoo that's in Regents Park though, not sure if that helps or not ....

Guest ruiagnelo

Ditto, us Londoners are clearly full of brains! I have been to London Zoo that's in Regents Park though, not sure if that helps or not ....

Well, maybe i am asking something harder than i thought, as i am maybe forcing you to think as londoners from that time. I am also afraid of making this more complex than it is.

I just wanted to know how important you think this connection created by Nash was at that time - and even today - and how people benefited from this new park and the Regent street.

Just throw some thoughts, i am not expecting to create an advanced theory here, just trying to understand the context.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Dunno really, some guy built a street, it was important for the prince regent who lived at one end so he could to walk to the church at the other end without having to deal with any unpleasant corners

Archived