IGNORED

Vibert's reworking / referencing of rare Jungle tracks

SQUIDLID

Nice one Solo Strike, I hadn't heard that one before or at least I don't remember it.

Golden Era Jungle is certainly an interesting and useful archive for those interested in Jungle, some very knowledgeable people on there and a treasure trove of mixes both from the time and more modern dedications to a bygone era.

Here's another bit of Vibert sample spotting albeit a very minimal one in a tapestry woven of miniature dedications. It'd take me absolutely ages to mention all of the references in this track and quite frankly I don't know them all, so please contribute if you spot one!

Amen Andrews - 'Amen Renegade' flips, spins and rinses through a multitude of patois and drum samples the obvious couple being Cutty Ranks and DJ Gunshot's Mary J Blige sampling 'Wheel Up'. While Vibert's track doesn't dwell on the Mary J Blige sample I'm certain the use of the sample is a polite nod to DJ Gunshot's track. DJ Gunshot produced a handful of truly great Jungle during his short lived career as a Junglist, originally starting off with a leaning towards hardcore and eventually producing a few anthemic jungle hits with nods to Hip Hop, R&B, Dancehall and Dub which made his productions have a slightly more commercial leaning and flexibility in a DJ set. His definitive track being 'Wheel Up' which was released several different times under a variety of name variations with subtle differences. Wheel Up's probably my favourite of the bunch with it's intro of deep bass and reversed drum breaks, although all the versions are really quite similar. Also worth checking out by Gunshot are 'Dread Or Dead', 'Soundboy', 'Bad Boy' and 'Regulators (Marvellous Cain Remix)'.

More updates on other samples in this track when I think of them...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L65j2EbMmUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKs35Zr0BSI

• 2 weeks later...

Archived