IGNORED

Cubase question

Guest The Bro

Guest Promo

Okay I'm still using Cubase VST24. Now I know this is like an ancient prog (about 6 years old now) but I am so used to it and find it so useable.

Now I tried to use the latest Cubase, Cubase SX3, but I just found it a serious bitch to use. I know that its supposed to be a steep learning curve (apparently) but seriously why the fuck is it such a bitch to use? All the usability of beyond VST24 has just gone IMO!!

Now the real dillemma to me is that I want to just be able to use my version of Cubase when I get a new PC but I get the feeling that XP doesn't like the old Cubase. That said I have used VST24 on someone's PC running XP and it seemed to be okay however on W2000 it plays up. Who knows perhaps its a soundcard thing?

The long and short of it is the basic, supa fast key editing just is totally bereft on SX3 as far I could tell and thats really fucked me off. Obviously its a massively superior package but I know for the moment I can do most of what I want on VST24. Superior audio editing is really the only thing which I yearn from SX3.

Any thoughts people? Anyone had similar feelings?

sx3 is amazing. takes a while to master it (the basics, recording/editing midi and audio data, are just a simple as most other soft seqs) but it has wicked features (the logical editor, input transformer, timewarping/stretching with lots of diff. options, awesome vst-freezing stuff) + a great layout. works so fluidly. so just take your time, dont forget the manual if you really cant figure it out yourself, and you'll see thats it mindbendingly powerful

SX3 is also my weapon of choice. Brilliant program.

I'd say, bite the bullet and put on your learning-curve boots.

Yeah the output routing is great (although it took me a few months and several google searches to figure out how to do it) - and the freeze function is essential... I freeze everything... Gives you unlimited power, you don't need to worry about anything.

There's aspects of it I do find fiddly and unintuitive - I wouldn't really want to program beats in it, but for working with audio and hardware it's probably my favorite app out there at the moment.

Also got this great function apparently where you can hook up a h/w fx unit and use it like a plug-in? Not figured that one out yet but would love to get the Eventide hooked up.

@jswift...

can you do a screenshot of sx3 with the freeze button clearly marked for me please dude?

... i've just upgraded from sx, and the manual doesn't tell you where it is, just what it does.

Archived