IGNORED

Talk Box techniques

awepittance

So i have a talkbox that's been collecting dust in my room for over a year, when i first got it i loved playing with it but i always found it difficult to capture the cool sounds with a mic.

After talking with a few people, it seems like mic placement is less of an issue than is the source material you run through. There seem to be a few 'go to' synth patches/presets/instrument types that work best through talkbox, much better than others. this is what i've been told but i can't say i know of any particular synth patches that work better than others, it's always a struggle for me to find a really good sound to run through it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZVxvm_jvg'm pretty sure this song uses talk box on the main lyric, maybe with a vocoder underneath.

anyone here experienced in getting sounds like this?

The way you're supposed to move your mouth and trap the air inside is hard enough but its hard for me to find these more cliche talkbox synth sounds to run through it.

Guest analogue wings

Roger Troutman used the "heavy metal" preset on a Yamaha DX21

My TX81Z has the same preset and it works

So i have a talkbox that's been collecting dust in my room for over a year, when i first got it i loved playing with it but i always found it difficult to capture the cool sounds with a mic.

After talking with a few people, it seems like mic placement is less of an issue than is the source material you run through. There seem to be a few 'go to' synth patches/presets/instrument types that work best through talkbox, much better than others. this is what i've been told but i can't say i know of any particular synth patches that work better than others, it's always a struggle for me to find a really good sound to run through it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZVxvm_jvg'm pretty sure this song uses talk box on the main lyric, maybe with a vocoder underneath.

anyone here experienced in getting sounds like this?

The way you're supposed to move your mouth and trap the air inside is hard enough but its hard for me to find these more cliche talkbox synth sounds to run through it.

This track sounds more like a simple vocoder with a pad synth carrying the vocals. But could def get similar sound with a talkbox and the same pad sound.

Try 'Tal Bassline" based on the SH-101, its free and the initial preset is great for the talk box. Any kind of saw, square, triangle waves are good for the talkbox as u need something u can filter with your mouth and turn into your words. This is harder with pad sounds, which is why I think the track above is created using a vocoder.

Cheers

Acid :)

thanks for the advice, but im pretty sure that if there is a vocoder used on the track above, it's not possible to make the nuanced breathy vowel sounds on a vocoder. It sounds very characteristic talk box to me, especially on the consonants. I think it's probably a combination of the 2

Archived