IGNORED

kotekan demo 2012

ganus

this is a small selection of tracks that I am planning on releasing (providing I can find a label that likes them)

the tunes are all pretty much rough drafts at the moment, but hopefully you'll at least get an idea of what I'm going for

nothing is mastered yet, so you'll have to turn your volume up if you want to hear the tracks the way they're intended.

http://soundcloud.com/kotekan/kotekan-demo-2012

soundcloud makes everything sound ridiculously muddy, so if you want full quality, the mp3 is here:

http://bit.ly/Q1M3tb

Guest metaeaux

I personally liked the first 3 minutes the most. I think it's really nice stuff, some parts reminded me of BoC and Kuedo. If it were me personally, I'd try layering some wow'n'flutter effects on the synths. Maybe try this plugin if you're not already using it. Just use it in subtle ways to get a nice melty sound to your synths and make them feel a bit more analogue. I'd also throw some nice reverbs on there. I like to use a variety of styles, I'm a huge fan of Toraverb, and Reverberate (if you really want to get technical, reverberate will let you take your own impulse recordings and use them as reverb! I'm going caving with a friend soon to start capturing some impulse responses!). I think the drums are great, I like the selection of samples you've used. I'm not sure if it's the recording or not, but they did feel a little bit thin. I know this is all a matter of taste, but I personally would layer a few drum samples over each part of your kit, just to add a little bit of extra impact. I think there could be a bit more lower end, especially in the kicks. Not too much though! Just enough to emphasise what's already there. I think subtlety is key! Last thing I'll say is that I think your sound would be great if it were a bit wider. Try playing with stereo imaging a bit more (listen to how wide this sounds). There's loads of plugins that will help you do that. iZotope Ozone comes to mind. I'm sure if you search KVR you'll find a bunch of free stuff too! Feel free to ask if you've got any questions. Keep up the great work man! I've started following you on soundcloud, I'd like to see where you take this stuff. :)

That track at 4:18 in the first link totally sounds like mid 90's aphex. Which is good, of course.

the other tracks were good too, but this one stood out for me. the drums are hella good.

Thanks! that's the best compliment my music has ever gotten.

I personally liked the first 3 minutes the most. I think it's really nice stuff, some parts reminded me of BoC and Kuedo. If it were me personally, I'd try layering some wow'n'flutter effects on the synths. Maybe try this plugin if you're not already using it. Just use it in subtle ways to get a nice melty sound to your synths and make them feel a bit more analogue. I'd also throw some nice reverbs on there. I like to use a variety of styles, I'm a huge fan of Toraverb, and Reverberate (if you really want to get technical, reverberate will let you take your own impulse recordings and use them as reverb! I'm going caving with a friend soon to start capturing some impulse responses!). I think the drums are great, I like the selection of samples you've used. I'm not sure if it's the recording or not, but they did feel a little bit thin. I know this is all a matter of taste, but I personally would layer a few drum samples over each part of your kit, just to add a little bit of extra impact. I think there could be a bit more lower end, especially in the kicks. Not too much though! Just enough to emphasise what's already there. I think subtlety is key! Last thing I'll say is that I think your sound would be great if it were a bit wider. Try playing with stereo imaging a bit more (listen to how wide this sounds). There's loads of plugins that will help you do that. iZotope Ozone comes to mind. I'm sure if you search KVR you'll find a bunch of free stuff too! Feel free to ask if you've got any questions. Keep up the great work man! I've started following you on soundcloud, I'd like to see where you take this stuff. :)

I'd rather not go into my production too much, but I do actually use a lot of wow and flutter type effects & reverb on my stuff, I just like to keep it very subtle. I will experiment around though and see if it doesn't sound better with heavier effects & layering and such.

I definitely agree that the kicks could use more bass. I am pretty cautious about how loud my kicks are, because I really dislike when they drown everything else out, especially when they aren't doing anything melodic. I bet my stuff sounds terrible with subs though, so I will have to sort it out somehow.

Thanks for all the feedback & I am glad you like it.

Guest Waxlimbs

You've got a pretty unique and interesting sound in this!

I think I liked the last track the most. I feel it just really brought everything together nicely.

Percussion's great, I'd just play with a bit more reverb on the highs if I were in your situation.

Great work!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived