IGNORED

CIA man jailed for 2 years for exposing systematic US torture program, no torturers or policy makers ever jailed

awepittance

Days after he was sentenced to 30 months in prison, John Kiriakou -- the first CIA official to be jailed for any reason relating to the torture program -- denounces President Obama's appointment of John Brennan to head the CIA. "I've known John Brennan since 1990," Kiriakou says. "I worked directly for John Brennan twice. I think that he is a terrible choice to lead the CIA. I think that it's time for the CIA to move beyond the ugliness of the post-September 11th regime. We need someone who is going to respect the Constitution and not be bogged down by a legacy of torture."

did you read his book, the reluctant spy? interesting stuff in it. surprised he's only getting 2 years since he was up for 50. his book isn't making illegal disclosures either, it's questioning the legality of what amounts to criminal acts by a number of policy makers and advisors. baffling that this kind of thing is criminalized.

never read his book, actually i didn't even really know who this guy was until a couple of weeks ago. I will check it out.

from the various interviews i read he thinks the main thing that got him in hot water was overtly saying that it was official US policy to torture on television. They used the revealing of a CIA agent as the reasoning for prosecuting him apparently.

which is ridiculous. richard armitage leaked an officer's name and faced no penalty even though nothing he was doing was in the public interest, whereas exposing waterboarding clearly is.

Archived