IGNORED

New (sort of) tracks

hoggy

I did some new mixes of a track - it sounds better in different ways in each but I've yet to bring them together for a more definitive version. Still seems to lack some kind of enveloping or warm aurrounding feeling for some reason - maybe because so much of the music is so staccato? Not sure. Anyway - there's 3 new versions - the third I think has the best snare rushes and weirder mixing, the second has an entirely reworked intro part and I think the first is just a straight up mix of the original track with added percussion. ANYWAY....

[sc5]162448705[/sc5]

[sc5]162447295[/sc5]

[sc5]162446746[/sc5]

It was too much work to make the tracks for me just to keep them to myself but I'm not sure if I will continue... maybe nobody will listen, who knows but at least internet god will hear them

I see what you mean about the tuss - compositionally especially

It was made on a Sega tracker/emulator! (and after that, FL) (There are 2 sound chips in a megadrive and the main one is all FM - I love those sounds)

Yeah, I love the Mega Drive-ish feel! The Sonic soundtracks are pretty lush, though, basically because you have 5 channels + rhythm + 3 square waves on the Mega Drive and it's easier to make a track because the arrangement is set from the start. Still many MegaDrive tracks do tricks like creating delays by having the same instrument on two channels panned differently (for example

or
), or having sounds with a low sustain that is prolonged for quite long so as to fill more space (Green Hill Zone does this for example). It's also easier when you have a traditional bassline that is upfront, and a secondary rhythm track in the background or some arps. But that wouldn't work here I think. You might have a single droning/sweeping chord, not necessarily a pad, with a simple ramp envelope that appears from time to time, maybe following some crazy irregular IDM rhythm, alternating with silence.

I think I prefer the original intro, actually version 1 is the one I like best, version 3 is also cool and has no space problems whatsoever but the mix is a bit too loud and busy, and I don't like the first sound you hear (the high-pitched glitchy rhythm) too much, but that said I guess it's the most promising version of the 3. All in all a great track!

btw if you're into megadrive music i highly recommend Gens KMod (not the regular Gens). It lets you see the sound chip instrument info in real time and the latest version also allows you to turn channels on and off. really really useful.

Thanks pob! Using some kind of soft chords at the back definately might work to make things gel a bit more

Yeah I'm not too keen on the glitch rhythm at the start of 3 either, but I like how in that mix, some parts are fairly quiet so they sit under others

Archived