IGNORED

Synergy 'Computer Experiments Vol. 1'

Bechuga

From the release notes: Computer Experiments Volume One is a recording of three different executions of a microcomputer self-composing program. The program, called "Pink Tunes", was written by John Simonton of PAiA Electronics Inc, and is an application of the stochastic process to electronic music. In simple terms, the computer is given a narrowed field of notes, durations, harmonies and the like from the total spectrum of all possibilites. The composer sets all of the musical ground rules, but then lets the computer combine and "compose" the musical elements in constantly varying ways according to stochastic, or controlled randomness structures.

Anyone listened to this? I've had it for a while and it sounds different to anything else I can think of, especially in terms of coldness. You could suggest it's similar to Oneohtrix in places but it lacks that warmth his pieces have, which is not surprising considering a computer did all the work on these tracks.

Just goes to show: a computer can think, but it can't feel, man.

[youtubehd]VUjogFF4_Ao[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]0dtNeHnJBwE[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]IxNiS_xGhTc[/youtubehd]

• 4 weeks later...

not one of my favorite albums by him but I also never knew the backstory of it. Interesting, ill have to listen to it again. I'm very fond of Synergy in general though, this is prob my favorite

Alco posted stuff by a guy named Claude Larson in an earlier OPN thread and while there are a lot of 70s/early 80s synth music influences in Daniels music, the Claude larson comparison is extremely uncanny, in parts it sounds identical to R + 7, so much so i'd be surprised if it wasn't a direct reference/homage

Archived