IGNORED

Crazy Ivan's variables

Guest Calverhall

Guest Calverhall

I've just downloaded Bran's Crazy Ivan VST. Its a very exciting processor and creates some truely bonkers noise however, I'd like to be able to control it more.

I'm really not particularly technical with these things although its a slow case of learning so could someone please explain what each variable does and which ones relate to one another etc?

Bit Murderer

Bitmask

AND

XOR

Power

Frequency 1

Diff. Frequency 1

Vib Frequency

Diff Vib Frequency

Feedback 1

Frequency 2

Min Delay

Max Delay

Distortion

Damping

Feedback 2

Limiter

Attack

Release

Amplify

The Dry/Wet and Randomise are quite obvious and I guess some of those above are too but I'd rather know for certain.

If you could explain in both the technical term and then give a laments lowdown I would be incredibly grateful, like I said I'm not really very technical at all but I have a will to investigate.

Thank you.

Guest Calverhall

Cheers chris but its not what I meant, I actually want to know what they do not how they sound, I've already had a play, i want to know techincally what they all do.

Guest Iain C

There's no point trying to understand that plugin, just fuck with the parameters and hope for the best

Guest Calverhall

Ha! I'm sure its not that complicated, I just don't know what the variables mean, most of them I have a rough idea and are alittle obvious but the Bit Murderer for example, I''m just really curious as to what its doing to the sound or what its doing with the data.

And the Feedback variables what is it feeding back from/off?

I'm having a lot of fun with it. But come on help me tame this beast and fill in some stupid gaps in my knowledge.

Guest Iain C

I would imagine "bit murderer" is a bit-reduction effect, nothing too extravagant there. Don't ask me how it all works but it makes your sounds simpler and crunchier, a really harsh lossy sort of digital distortion.

Personally I never really got too into Crazy Ivan precisely because it's so hard to control

Guest Calverhall
send the programmer an email. or don't they have a forum for smartelectronix over at kvr-audio?

Good idea, I'll give it a try.

i haven't seen the plugin but judging from the names:

Bit Murderer - bit reduction, sample values are rounded to lesser bitdepth

Bitmask - a specific bitmask is used for next 2 operations:

AND - said bitmask && current sample (logical)

XOR - said bitmask || current sample (logical)

Power - could be gain to clip the signal? could be a compressor?

Frequency 1

Diff. Frequency 1

Vib Frequency

Diff Vib Frequency

Feedback 1

Frequency 2

Min Delay

Max Delay

Distortion

Damping

Feedback 2

Limiter - these 4 probably belong together, limiter is probably just a brickwall compressor (infinite ratio)

Attack - limiter attack time

Release - limiter release time

Amplify - limiter makeup gain

Archived