IGNORED

Yamaha CS-5, previously owned by RDJ

YELLOW

Maybe it is a gimmick, but hey, it worked, it got our attention, didn't it?

yeah but for all the wrong reasons. he's selling his music off of the back of somebody else's fame and talent.

it's like what The Black Dog apparently do when they make out like Plaid are still a part of some ongoing Black Dog collective, or that the Dusts have been there in the group since the beginning.. etc.

it's slippery trickery to sell units and make money.

loads of people will have bought this release just because the artwork features RDJ's handwriting, ffs, and because he's used 'Aphex Twins' equipment' !

i hate people like that. and i mean Solvent, not the fools who bought into it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 years later...

Maybe it is a gimmick, but hey, it worked, it got our attention, didn't it?

yeah but for all the wrong reasons. he's selling his music off of the back of somebody else's fame and talent.

it's like what The Black Dog apparently do when they make out like Plaid are still a part of some ongoing Black Dog collective, or that the Dusts have been there in the group since the beginning.. etc.

it's slippery trickery to sell units and make money.

loads of people will have bought this release just because the artwork features RDJ's handwriting, ffs, and because he's used 'Aphex Twins' equipment' !

i hate people like that. and i mean Solvent, not the fools who bought into it.

I don't know, I bought it because it sounds similar to early Aphex Twin but a bit different, the same reason I bought Automatic Tasty's Fieldwork EP or Bochum Welt's Kissing a Robot Goodbye. I doubt anyone believes the tools are more important than the techniques to the point they think someone using a keyboard Aphex Twin used will sound similar as a result (at least, I really hope they don't). He does sound similar, but because of the techniques he's using, as a conscious choice. Early Mr. Oizo used a similar setup to early Aphex Twin (MS-20, TR-606, sampler, Atari ST with software sequencer) and they couldn't have sounded more different. For me, at least, all the CS-5 nonsensery did was make it mediagenic enough for me to have heard of it. Although yes, people should build up their own image rather than riding the coattails of someone else's. I don't think any of us are in a position to blame him for being a fan, though.

Guest Chesney

Not a great demo but fun and yeah the CS's are really amazing sounding. Very underated to be honest. Because they are more smooth and the res does not go into self osc it's considered less desirable than say an old moog, arp, korg etc.

My CS is becoming my go to synth because it's such a joy and because the res is set how it is it does not cut the level when cranked so it just sounds so liquid at the top and you'll never get a nasty squeal when doing acidy stuff, just sexy gloop.

Archived