IGNORED

recommend a synth

Guest Coalbucket PI

Guest Coalbucket PI

my pal is quite new to music making but hes pretty good and he decided somehow to buy an alesis ion, which is somewhere in the region of £400 i believe,. well the purchase didnt come about cause the shop messed up, and i really think for someone whos just trying out synths for the first time this is a big spend and might be unneccesary. I said maybe microkorg cause i know a lot more people who swear by them than who dislike them and the price is right. but really what could you buy within this price range, bearing in mind you dont have to spend it all? is the tiny amount of knobs on the alesis micron a problem at all? my mate reckons more knobs means more instantaneous control if you are playing live, im not sure this is really something worth worrying about at all. ms2000? novation ks? something old?

synth me up watmm

Guest man with no name

used nord lead 2 racks go for about 300 USD. Used sh-101s go for about 350 USD on non-ebay sites...those korg ms2000 rack synths look decent too and have knobs. I would not suggest getting an ion...It's a nice synth and all, but I found it too much of a hassle to program stuff on it.

Guest user

If he worries about instant control for live performances, just get a midi controller.

You can assign pretty much anything you want and don't have to worry about accidently turning the wrong dial.

Guest man with no name
is everyone going to have microkorgs and sh-101s soon?

do you have either? i dont

Guest volg4

....what about a korg prophecy?

post-43-1152128712_thumb.jpg

is your mate using a computer?

does the synth need a keyboard or just lots of controllers?

theres so many different instruments, do you just want to make noises, what about drums or sequencing?

Guest Coalbucket PI

he uses a computer yeah. the thing is hes not used real life synths before so thats why this is a hard decision, neither of us really know what is going to be important when hes actually using it so I figure he shouldnt spend tooo much and get a synthwith a large range. I think an internal sequencer is good to have but its not vital and it restricts you a lot if you want one. I dont know anything about korg prophecys, i thought they were very expensive

ive just won my bid for a 101 and and korg EMX-1, ive got absolutely no idea what to expect, i was in the same sitution and basically went on what 2 guys said.

Guest Captain Cooper

One's an analogue monosynth and the other isn't.

This place actually used to be a lot better for discussion of this sort of thing, I'm not sure what happened

This place actually used to be a lot better for discussion of this sort of thing, I'm not sure what happened

Invasion Of The Mongoloid Microkorg Meddlers ©

Guest man with no name

wAIT SO IT ONLY PLAYS ONE NOTE AT A TIME?????

whoa.jpg

Guest volg4

a cheap workstation type synth would probably be what you want, maybe something like a yamaha sy85, maybe a couple of hundred - its got an onboard sequencer too but i remember it having some real wicked sounds, i think you can load short samples into it too

korg wavestation is another older synth that does cool things

if you get a nice keyboard synth you can then just buy some synth modules and some cool hands on controllers...

emu morpheus is a quality module - morphing filters, 16 part mutli

roland super jv1080, seen them for £150, never used one but they get a decent write up

maybe a groovebox of some kind, raveolution, rm1x, mc303.... :fear:

so many choices mate, hit up ebay, google the interesting shit, see what takes your fancy then buy buy buy......... :grin: .......everybody is going to use the same thing differently, so my favourite synth could be totally useless to someone else

if you buy something an its shit, just sample the fuck out it and sell it on :cool:

prepal.com is a good indication of how much youd expect to pay for something too

how much cash you got to spend?

Archived