IGNORED

Recommend me a music making pc

Guest The Bro

Guest Ron Manager

any computer that has a processor, some ram, a sound card, and a hard drive is capable of making music: aka, every single bloody pc ever produced in the last decade at least. as for what you said earlier about compaqs being produced in "sweatshops" with "bottom-of-the-line parts," you can't prove that sony does any different; and i can assure you mate, if you think sony has well-paid/qualified technicians assembling each of their computers in somewhere other than "sweatshops" using something other than the cheapest parts, then you've got another thing coming.

as for your poor friend's new compaq that has a 'graphics card that wasn't even installed properly', i think your friend is an idiot and i would put the problem down to him. it just never happens. and even on the extremely remote chance compaq shipped a laptop with this ridiculous, near-impossible flaw, it's a manufacturer's defect, just take it back or send it back to compaq.

i'm not arguing that sony doesn't make nice desktops and laptops. hell if i had the money i'd buy a vaio notebook, i think they look smart, and some of their high-end models are beasts. but to come into a thread for someone who's looking for a desktop for less than £500 and tell him "vaio and mac are your only options, you can't make music on anything less" is just being a pillock.

Vaio doesn't necessarily mean great. I tried using Cubase VST on my sister's Vaio a couple of years back and in a word is was 'shit'. That said using Traktor DJ for live djing has been no problem and its turned out to be quite a reliable workhorse for that function alone. However with Cubase I have no idea why the performance was so dodgy.

Guest Franklin

promo man you know what you want just go put one together. buy a box buy all the hardware. usually same price or cheaper than buying a brand computer. plus everything is higher quality and the tech wont let you mix anything that will cause problems.

ive built my last 3 computers and not had one problem like i had with a Dell or HP or whatever.

Guest pantsonmyhead
img_seriesimage_lsseries.jpg

vaio and mac are your only options, you can't make music on anything less. HP is shit, but dell, emachines, gateway... et cetera are worse

i think you're a retard if you think anybody's computer brand name is going to have any impact whatsoever on their music making abilities aside from the fact that some programs aren't cross platform

dell, compaq, vaio whatever just wipe the drive when you get it and keep that shit clean

p.s. ask arsenlives about his vaio and how awesome it works

and about naturally occurring buffer override

Guest arsenlives

its true. i have the ability to randomly generate a master buffer override which affects all of the sound processes of the computer and then i have to system restore. however, system restoring a day back is not very difficult and takes about 5 minutes. but yeah thanks vaio for crappy sound cards. then again any laptop sound card is going to be shit aswell as its drivers.

What a lot of extremely silly advice. Do not listen to anything AlexPallas has said at all. You can make quality music with a fucking Commodore Amiga. Vaio's are better for music...honestly...utter utter tosh. Ron manager's advice is by far the most sensible and, as he used to work with PCs etc, I would say much more valid.

Richard D James has a Vaio coz he's FUCKING LOADED. QED.

And I can't believe that wank about Sony's having better A/D convereters and Macs handling buffer overrides better etc. Who the fuck told him that? A bloody Sony salesman I suspect. Jesus.

Anyway, I recommend either building your own machine, or getting one from a small, independent dealer built to your specs.

Archived