IGNORED

ripping audio from dvd

Guest 2780

hey! how could i possibly do it??

i mean dvd not avi or mpeg or somthing similar but dvd disc or *.vob files on it

and my sound card cant record "what you hear" unless i route physically outs to ins which seems kinda stupid...

plzzzzz help me

Guest welcome to the machine

There will probably be someone telling you the easier way (that i cant remeber right now) soon enough, but for now..

I do it using cool edit, now called adobe audition. Click on the rec box of the audio track you will record on, go to properties and you'll have a list of all the channels audio travels on in you're comp, add one which looks like it might be the one you're after and hit record. it might take a little experimenting but its there, it doesnt matter about you're soundcard, cool edit just looks at whats going out and grabs that.

edit. im sure most other apps can do that, though i havent seen a way in cubase, but then i havent really needed to look. failing that, just get windows sound recorder, im sure you could download it somewhere, tiny app, just records what s going out (again).

thanks for your time guys

jubal: have to try the wavelab then :)

welcomettm: as i said my sound card doesnt let you record like that (and afaik almost none of the more music writing oriented cards let you do so) i already tried sound forge and win recorder i also cant use penguin audio meter because there is no "what you hear" channel that i had on my old SB live

Guest welcome to the machine

glad you've found the answer :)

but as for the souncardss thing, you can do it with most of em. I know iits not like the old standard card where you just check the 'wave out' mix or whatever it was, but you can stilll do it, ive done it on a soundblaster, and emu and my current m-audio delta 10-10.

in the m-audio, for example, you have to use the patchbay/router on the m-audio panel, ( by making sure the box 'disable audio app use of patchbay/router' is UNchecked)

then all you need is a program which allows you to choose the stage at which it records, its not about what soundcard you have, its about using a program which can record at the stage of you're choice. So, in my current setup i'd just tell cooledit to record from the monitor mixerrather than an input!

anyway, just a side point, may be useful in the future. Ive used it to record breezblock shows off the radio 1 site among other things.

o

Guest Yggdrasil

For any Mac users that might be looking for a solution, user Wiretap. It's freeware, with a $19 charge for additional functionality.

I let it run in the background whenever I watch DVDs, so I can always grab snippets that sound interesting...meaning that everyone tends to get exasperated when they come to my house to watch a film.

I figure that one day the right girl will hopefully find the phrase "Hold on, I gotta sample this" unbearably sexy.

use DVD decrypter ( http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Rippers/SetupD...ter_3.5.4.0.exe ) which is free. You can choose which chapter you want to rip and which audio track etc.

Put in the DVD. Run DVD decrypter. Go to mode->ifo and it'll list everything, tick or un tick which chapters you want. Go to stream processing. Click enable stream processing and tick the audio track you want to rip (usually either 2 channel or 6 channel), then at the buttom hit the demux button and untick the rest of the audio/video streams. Then click the icon in the bottom left to rip it. You should then have the .ac3 file to load into any sound program

If you can't load ac3, you can convert to wav with Headac3he: http://mitglied.lycos.de/darkav/

Archived